Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello from Victoria B.C.

Re: Hello from Victoria B.C.

Welcome from Steveston, Albert; great to have you here. Cheers, Uri
    P.S. You're not throwing away any Kodak HIE Infrared, are you?

Confidently Agnostic!

I hope it's not too presumptuous of me, not even living out there yet, but I've created a user group on google groups. Leaving the fine user group in Calgary is something I regret, so hopefully we can get the ball rolling in Victoria and meet at some point.

http://groups.google.com/group/victo...mat-user-group

If you want to join I'll make anyone who wants a manager or owner of the list, no need to hog such incredible power. Once you join up with your email account you can communicate via the mailing list, ie by sending a message to:

victoria-large-format-user-group@googlegroups.com

It will go out to all members.

We can eventually figure out how to structure things based on what everyone thinks. The one I'm involved with now is a pretty easy-going affair with no strictly structured meetings, no membership dues, or anything like that, and it's a nice experience. We meet once a month and rotate the venue through different members' places. Something similar for a victoria user group would be cool, but I'll leave that up to consensus

Walter: Thanks for creating the Google group! I just joined, and I hope the others here do too. It'd be a hoot for us to all get together, maybe in the summer.

David: If the weather ever clears up, I'd love to explore Sooke. I've really got to get out of the forest gloom more! Do you know Bob Tully at Home Hardware? He's another LF shooter out in Sooke.

Paul: Don't worry about being a newbie—we all were at one point. I'd be more than happy to meet up and give you some guidance if you'd like.

Bruce: Not responsible! I buy my copies downtown, at Chapters!

Cheers, everyone,
    \donw

Quote Originally Posted by Don Wilkes View Post
    Walter: Thanks for creating the Google group! I just joined, and I hope the others here do too. It'd be a hoot for us to all get together, maybe in the summer.

David: If the weather ever clears up, I'd love to explore Sooke. I've really got to get out of the forest gloom more! Do you know Bob Tully at Home Hardware? He's another LF shooter out in Sooke.

Paul: Don't worry about being a newbie—we all were at one point. I'd be more than happy to meet up and give you some guidance if you'd like.

Bruce: Not responsible! I buy my copies downtown, at Chapters!

Cheers, everyone,
    \donw
    I have probably met him as I was just in there a coupl of weeks back in the post office. There is some beautiful stuff out Sooke way. Have you ever explored Botanical Beach?

Funny, I was thinking I need to get INTO the forest gloom more.

I'll join the Google group as well.

Confidently Agnostic!

I changed people who just joined to "manager". Lets you change group settings, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by David Luttmann View Post
    I have probably met him as I was just in there a coupl of weeks back in the post office. There is some beautiful stuff out Sooke way. Have you ever explored Botanical Beach?
    I can't wait to haul my 4x5 up there. Fantastic area, I could probably just shoot tidepools all day.

Funny, I was thinking I need to get INTO the forest gloom more.
    Me too. So far I've not had any luck finding non-rainy days in the, err, rainforest

Hey, David...

Bob used to work at Broad St Camera before it imploded, and last I heard he was at Home Hardware there in Sooke. Like most LF folks, he's a bearded, middle-aged guy, of -uh- generous proportions. He's also got a minor boat-bulding obsession. If you run into him, please say hello for me—I haven't seen him in a long time.

I always get Botannical and China beaches confused. I think I've been to China Beach once or twice, but was a bit shut out on photo ops, for reasons that now escape me. I do remember lugging the old Calumet monorail around, and being somewhat frustrated; maybe it was extra windy or something.

If you wander into the Victoria area, try Francis King Park (esp the lower section) for things like old stumps and burnt out trees. Fabulous stuff, and they don't move much. Which is good, because at f/22, exposures in there run about 1-5 seconds.

Cheers,
    \donw

Walter - thanks for setting the group up, I've joined. I like your suggestions for a low-key group. I once belonged to a (non-photographic) printmaking group in Victoria. Nice people, but I grew weary of the meetings with agenda, minutes etc.

Don - thanks for the offer of help and advice, there are certainly going to be times when I will need it!

Hey, David...

Bob used to work at Broad St Camera before it imploded, and last I heard he was at Home Hardware there in Sooke. Like most LF folks, he's a bearded, middle-aged guy, of -uh- generous proportions. He's also got a minor boat-bulding obsession. If you run into him, please say hello for me—I haven't seen him in a long time.

I always get Botannical and China beaches confused. I think I've been to China Beach once or twice, but was a bit shut out on photo ops, for reasons that now escape me. I do remember lugging the old Calumet monorail around, and being somewhat frustrated; maybe it was extra windy or something.

If you wander into the Victoria area, try Francis King Park (esp the lower section) for things like old stumps and burnt out trees. Fabulous stuff, and they don't move much. Which is good, because at f/22, exposures in there run about 1-5 seconds.

Cheers,
    \donw
    Yes, now I know Bob. Used to love going into Broad Street Camera. A real shame for them to vanish. I must admit that I spend far more time going in to Lens & Shutter sending files off to their pro-lab in Vancouver and picking up paper and ink.

China beach is the one just past Jordan River. Botanical Beach is another 45min to an hour along a VERY slow winding road to Port Renfrew. Can be VERY windy in Botanical. I took a Linhof monorail there and it nearly blew away. The Shen Hao has a much smaller footprint and doesn't act like a sail I have run a few small workshops for beginners at Botantical beach. Great opportunity to teach them how to compose with different cameras.

Never tried Francis King Park. Will have to give it a try.

And as mentioned elsewhere in this thread....please, no meetings, minutes, etc. Just an informal group would be welcome!

joseph

Like most LF folks, he's a bearded, middle-aged guy, of -uh- generous proportions.
    Objection, hearsay...

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    Objection, hearsay...
    I haven't got the beard.....but 39 is coming quick, and my belt has been getting tighter lately