Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoring a Korona

Restoring a Korona

I'm in the process of restoring a 5"x&" Korona and maybe someone here can help.
    I plan on getting all the metal replated and instead of trying to replate the small (#2 or smaller) screws I wanted to replace them. Problem is I can't find a wood screw that small. I've tried several hardware stores that "sell everything" but no luck. Even the hobby shops I called didn't have what I needed. The closest I got was a #2 capscrew.
    Anybody know a source? I guess I could have mine replated but I really don't want to take a chance on the guy losing one of them if there are no more around.

Re: Restoring a Korona

If you know the size you can get them ordered at a handy Ace Hardware store. If you're lucky they will have a nice old style drawers of just the screws you need, somewhere at the back of the store, back in time. If ordering from their catalog, you might have to pick up boxes of 100, but that won't cost but a few dollars per box.

Quote Originally Posted by ron3865 View Post
    I'm in the process of restoring a 5"x&" Korona and maybe someone here can help.
    I plan on getting all the metal replated and instead of trying to replate the small (#2 or smaller) screws I wanted to replace them. Problem is I can't find a wood screw that small. I've tried several hardware stores that "sell everything" but no luck. Even the hobby shops I called didn't have what I needed. The closest I got was a #2 capscrew.
    Anybody know a source? I guess I could have mine replated but I really don't want to take a chance on the guy losing one of them if there are no more around.
    Sometimes you have to go to the hobby shop as the guys on the phone don't want to hassle with looking for them. I found mine in a hobby shop, they are out there.

check here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

they will have them.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

The smallest I could find was a #2 at OSH Hardware. They are about the only one in my area that carries a good selection in brass. The other sources are good ones also.

Jim

I buy all of my tiny screws at the local hobby shop that specializes in radio controlled airplanes, they have a wide selection of various types, and I have been able to find ones that match the same style as many of the older camera manufactures used, including the proper shoulder styles for brackets and such.

Dave

www.microfasteners.com has all kinds of tiny screws, bolts, nuts etc and sells them in small quantities.
    Jim

I used most of what came with mine, as the problem is finding replacements.
    However, I polished off the old nickel plating on all metal parts to the shiny brass. (didn't want to spend money on plating) though it took a lot of time to do the polishing. I also polished the head of each screw. I did replace a few from small hinge packages from Home depot, which was the only way I could find some screws.
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    check here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

they will have them.
    ------------------------------------
    I remeasured mine and found them to be #1, but I think I'll go with the #2 as they are only a couple of thou. bigger.

Thanks for the web site info!

Try www.rockler.com They have some tiny brass screws in packs of small quantity. That's where I get mine. I use a lot of #1 and #2 screws. The biggest problem is, no one makes long ones like some of these old beasties used. Nickel plating isn't worth it. If you want nickel color, you're probably going to be better off polishing and laquering the steel kind. You could nickel plate your own, if you're that ambitious. It really isn't hard to do.