Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is an Arca 6x9 worth it in the digital age?

Re: Is an Arca 6x9 worth it in the digital age?

A Canon 1Ds mkIII with a t/s lens giving 11mm of movement will give you a 7X17 ratio image at 33 megapixels allowing a 36X15" print at 250DPI, native resolution. I don't know if these lenses allow both rise/fall at the same time as shift, if so you can double the above figures with a multi layer stitch. However a 1Ds mkIII with a couple of t/s lenses will run you into over $10,000. You have to decide how much 6X9 film, processing and scanning that buys in comparison (after you've paid for the camera of course).

Stitching without a t/s lens will technically give you endless amounts of resolution with the limit only how wide you stitch, however for architecture forget trying to get images without distortion, IMO unuseable distortion at that. If it's for landscape then multi level stitching is an option with huge possibilities, what I don't like about it is that the multi level stitching heads look very unstable.

You also have the option of a stitching back for a LF camera such as the Camera Fusion back. This will give you flat stitching again at stupid levels of resolution, I own one and you get far more 'megapixels' than the lens can actually resolve, figure on a 100 megapixels for a typical stitch resulting in a 60X34" print at 250DPI with a 5D, you get more than that with a 1Ds mkIII of course and a lot more with a 40D (due to the smaller pixel spacing) but again, I figure the lens has given all it can by 70 megapixels and this is with a 135mm Sironar S, not a dull lens. Other limitations are that it isn't cheap, needs super stability, can use a 135mm as a widest lens (44mm FF equivelent with the 6X12 crop) if you want infinity and takes all the time to set up LF plus all the time to stitch!

If you are going to get a digital camera to use with movements, either a stitching back or a t/s lens make sure you get one with Live View! Can make all the difference in the world when you can zoom in up to X10 live while making those minute adjustments to focus and tilt!

You have far more future options with 4 x 5 . Many options second hand.
    such as 67 - 69 - 6 x 12 roll backs. Digital backs are expensive now and mostly capture 6 x 4.5....so they don't even give a true perspective. Emanuell points out that the focus is also better with these bigger lenses onto bigger film.....and the pictures look more real. Ole had a good point too.....but I forgot it and it's on page 1 !
    And anything - nearly - is cheaper than a new Arca 6 x 9 .

A Sinar F is light - bound to impress people - and will focus any lens easily. Buy one used. Or customise Linhofs like i do.

As Ole was saying - choices of backs in LF but more and cheaper ones for standard 4 x 5 or 'Graflok' . As Neil gently points out - this is the future proof interchangeable way to go. Extending an Arca 6 x 9 mono system - will be nearly as alarming as first buying it.

Scanners are getting better - the good industrial flat beads are nearly as good as the digital drums. The reflex viewer is a great asset and if 4 x 5 it can often be adapted to a foreign camera. I use a Toyo reflex on Linhofs. You can still use a cloth and loupe for fine focusing....briefly, before getting mugged. For architecture you need all the main perspective controls - especially rise.... and swinging back and front ( eg together ). Those Nikon 35mm options will give chronic wide angle distortion. This place is about LF thinking - be bold, get in full control of your own pictures and get the unique LF perspective.....[ that was a spontaneous advertisement ]

Hi,

did you ever see this setup? tilt and shift with a canon 1ds etc,
    http://www.cambo.com/Html/products_p.../Group735.html

regards

stefan