Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodak Anastigmat 135mm f/4.5

Kodak Anastigmat 135mm f/4.5

Hello all. Does anyone have any info on the above lens? It is mounted in a Kodak Compur shutter. Is this a pre-war (WWII) variant?

a) will it cover 4x5?
    b) what is the image circle size?
    c) what's the shutter size?
    d) is unscrewing the front and rear cells and giving them a new home in Copal 0 or 1 shutter a possibility?
    e) are there any current owners/users of a lens such as this... willing to share some insights?
    f) what would good glass but maybe not so reliable a Compur shutter go for on that 'trading' site???

The owner advises that the lens is sharp at f/22. But, also, that its great for B&W. I'm thinking this is definitely an un-coated lens?

The S/N of this specimen is 1084710. Does that help shed some light on the history and/or specs on this lens?

Thanks in advance,

Keith

Re: Kodak Anastigmat 135mm f/4.5

Keith,

there were at least 2 versions, a 4 element dialyte type and the newer tessar type. the older pre-war type would just cover 4x5 at inf., was sharp but soft on contrast and was fairly nice for close-up work (tabletop to macro).

Price seems to be $0 - $75 but you should check the completed listings button to see the last month's prices.

Compur shutters usually CLA well and are very reliable.

have fun with it

Um, the s/n fits Schneider's numbering scheme, if it is a Schneider lens it was made in 1936 or 1937, '37 is more likely. For this, see http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/...nses/index.htm

That it is in a Compur makes German origin a bit more likely. If so, it may be from a pre-WWII German Kodak (Nagel) folder and a rebadged Xenar, i.e., Tessar type.

Paul, as far as I know the dialyte type Kodak Anastigmats were f/6.3 (I just bought a 170/6.3 today, have dismantled it for cleaning and can confirm that it is a dialyte) and f/7.7. But there were also f/6.3 triplets. See http://www.prairienet.org/b-wallen/B...dak_index2.htm but note that he's weak on KAs.

Thanks Dan & Paul. You've given me some 'direction' for further research on this lens. Probably the last factiod I'm in search of is, would installing the front/rear cells in a Copal 0 shutter - if that's what the comparative Compur is - be an easy migration?

Kindest regards - Keith

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

If it really is a Xenar 135mm f:4.5, it won't fit in a #0. The f:4.7 takes a #0, the f:4.5 takes a #1 shutter.

By 1937 Schneider's lenses came in standard shutter sizes (although there were more standards than currently), so that should be no problem.

A 1943 edition of a Kodak lens booklet lists a Tessar formula Kodak Anastigmat f/4.5 5.5 inch intended for use for 3.25 x 4.25 negatives. They were probably also used on 4x5 press cameras. Other f/4.5 Kodak Anastigmats up to 130mm were listed for folding Kodak cameras. By the 1948 edition, the Kodak Anastigmat name had been dropped.

I have one in a 105 focal length. KodaK Compur shutter. It's actually a pretty surprising lens. The 135 should cover 4X5, but it won't allow for movements and may be a little soft in the outer reaches. I'd use it and see what develops. So to speak. If you don't like it, just throw it in my trash can.

For Jim Jones - I've found a lot of the 130mm Anastigmats on Kodak folders are triplets. I have a few of those lenses but have yet to try them.

Glen -- I was going by the 1943 Kodak Lenses. The only Kodak Anastigmat f/4.5 triplet it lists is a 50mm as used on the Kodak 35. C. B. Neblette's Photography: Its Principles and Practice, 4th ed., 1943, calls the f/4.5 Kodak Anastigmat a triplet with a cemented rear element. In diagrams this looked like a Tessar to my uneducated eye.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    A 1943 edition of a Kodak lens booklet lists a Tessar formula Kodak Anastigmat f/4.5 5.5 inch intended for use for 3.25 x 4.25 negatives. They were probably also used on 4x5 press cameras.
    I have that lens on a Anniversary Graphic, mounted in a dial Compur shutter. It is a great lens except in direct sun situations where it tends to flare a bit. I haven't noticed any significant softeness on the periphery but I don't worry about using movements with that camera/lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Glen -- I was going by the 1943 Kodak Lenses. The only Kodak Anastigmat f/4.5 triplet it lists is a 50mm as used on the Kodak 35. C. B. Neblette's Photography: Its Principles and Practice, 4th ed., 1943, calls the f/4.5 Kodak Anastigmat a triplet with a cemented rear element. In diagrams this looked like a Tessar to my uneducated eye.
    Strange stuff, these lenses. The 130s I have are off old folders. I never looked up the age on them. I'm sure they are pre war items. I am going by the number of reflections and what I've observed when I had them apart. They could be older than the reference material, I don't know. I do know that Kodak made Tessar formula lenses in two configurations - a regular Tessar configuration, and a reverse Tessar type. Kodak did some odd things that they didn't keep good rcords on. That makes it pretty hard to figure ut sometimes. I just tend to stick it on a camera and shoot a couple of sheets. If it's good, I put in in the "use me" stock. If not, it's back into the parts box. That's my "technical" approach.