Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Change to For Sale section

Re: For Sale section not in unified view

I like the 30 day limit before posting/seeing the For Sale section.

I would prefer that the for sale section be included in the unified view. If it was, people who didn't want to see it could change their options and not have it included.

Would it be possible instead of having the for sale section removed from the unified view for everybody just to change the default on the unified view option to have the for sale section selected not to view (but user changeable?)

-Darren

Re: Change to For Sale section

As someone who's been coming here since before the website change, but has not many posts (and no more than 2-3 in the lounge anyway), I think the 30-day limit is much better then a post limit. I don't post often because I'm here to learn. Despite the fact that I've been an LF shooter for 7 years, my knowledge is a drop in the bucket compared to many here. 90% of the time I don't need to post a question because I can find the answer by searching the forums. I post an answer on the rare occasions when I have the knowledge and no one else has already answered. I post images in the image threads hoping for some feedback, and I've posted one item for sale (unfortunately unsold so far).

To be honest, a post limit smacks of snobbery to me, something which I can't recall seeing on this site before.

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    I agree with John - 99% of the time, I use "Unified View". If the For Sale posts don't show up there...

Well, maybe it's a good thing. Perhaps I have enough lenses?
    I second to that. Let's leave "For Sale" section if Unified View is chosen.
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

I suppose it's a good idea but my personal experience is contrary. When I finally wanted to sell my 85 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo I knew I'd have a hard time finding an interested buyer. Local ads and Ebay auto both cost cost a fairly large part of the asking price. Note I had not found Craigslist at this time. So I went to the Turbo Dodge forum, signed up and placed an ad. Sold it immediately. I felt it went to a person who really wanted it and I got a fair price. I had no other interest in the forum but I feel that they benefited by my placing a fairly rare item for sale there.

30 days may keep photo items going to users, not speculators. I suppose capitalism prevails, and most sellers want the highest price for their item. But as a user/buyer (only occasional seller) I prefer to have a few "privileges of membership" on user sites such as hoping to get a good deal instead of fighting the bidding wars with rich collectors.

Have you ever wondered where some of the big lens sellers on Ohboy get them? I'd hate to have it easy to lurk in user boards and get em for a good price, then jack them up on the auction site. Soon folks decide to become collectors, seeing all the activity. Prices rise. Today I noted a 7 1/4 " Verito that sold for a few hundred, then appear right back weeks later with a $900 buy it now with a big lens seller. I personally wouldn't feel right scooping up something on a board just to sell.

I've also seen businesses begin to load user sites with their retail sales items. Is this bad or good? I don't know, but again if I go to a forum, I assume sale items are put there by members, not some business that wants to reach a wider audience and generate higher profit.

It's a good idea, but I acknowledge it's not ideal for a seller, first time or oldtimer, or a new user wanting to find an item as they first get into the hobbie.

Is it feasible to do set a different post/view limit? 30 days to post, but maybe 5-10 days to see? That would encourage the new folks who want to stick around, while reducing the spammers and whatnot.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

I am against a post limit. I think if someone participates only when he has a different and useful perspective to add, as opposed to for instance "Couldn't agree more", it does take a while to accumulate 30 posts.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    I am against a post limit. I think if someone participates only when he has a different and useful perspective to add, as opposed to for instance "Couldn't agree more", it does take a while to accumulate 30 posts.
    Couldn't agree more.

(did I get posting credit for that?)

Quote Originally Posted by johnwnyc View Post
    Is it also the case that you've removed the For Sale postings from the "unified" view? If so, I would think that most people would find this inconvenient, as I'm guessing it's the view that is bookmarked the most.

I think the 30-day restriction is certainly the way to go.

John
    I would suggest that it makes it more difficult to effect the 30-day restriction, if the For Sale/Wanted threads are included in the Unified View. Should we prevent less than 30-day members from seeing the Unified View as well?

From the beginning, it's always been a strong value that the LF forum be non-commercial. We added the For Sale/Wanted Forum at the request of users. But, it's been grouped in the Community forums, specifically to keep it separate from the core LF forums. Excluding the For Sale/Wanted threads from the Unified View helps to preserve this important value.

Of course, the For Sale/Wanted threads can be seen by greater than 30-day members in the same-named forum.

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

Is Lounge section off from Unified View as well?
    Why?
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca