Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Change to For Sale section

Re: Change to For Sale section

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Westbrook View Post
    We can consider adding a posts limit. I'd wonder if it would just increase the quantity of non-substantive posts, though, just to get past the limit. Lounge posts are not currently counted in member post counts, by the way.
    How about 30 quality posts? Seriously, this time change alone may make a difference. Thanks for all your hard work on the forum for us.

As a side effect of this setup, we can remove access from established members to the FS/WTB section if it becomes necessary.
    My wife thinks this is a good idea...

Mike

Good move, thanks.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

My only concern is that the new folks are also the ones looking to complete their outfits. Just viewing Will Whitakers 7X17 Philliips and I see PM sent by a guy and that was his first ever post. I guess no rule is perfect. If that guy turns out to be a legit guy looking for a camera that looks like a connection that would never get made with the new rules.

We can consider adding a posts limit. I'd wonder if it would just increase the quantity of non-substantive posts, though, just to get past the limit. Lounge posts are not currently counted in member post counts, by the way.
    "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

Please do not encourage new members who want access to FT/WTB to post just to reach a minimum number. Quantity and quality are not the same thing.

I think the 30 day restriction is the right way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moore View Post
    "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

Please do not encourage new members who want access to FT/WTB to post just to reach a minimum number. Quantity and quality are not the same thing.

I think the 30 day restriction is the right way to go.
    I agree.

Is it also the case that you've removed the For Sale postings from the "unified" view? If so, I would think that most people would find this inconvenient, as I'm guessing it's the view that is bookmarked the most.

I think the 30-day restriction is certainly the way to go.

John

As a side effect of this setup, we can remove access from established members to the FS/WTB section if it becomes necessary.
    Please don't add a per-post limit. All that's going to do is cause people to quickly post 30 non-sensical or at least non-useful posts so they can sell something.

And BTW, it's time to say something few of us say often enough - many thanks to you and Tuan, Ralph, Ted, and anyone else involved in administering and running this forum. You all do a great job.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

joseph

Hear hear-
    (does this count?)

joseph

My only concern is that there shouldn't be a # of posts requirement in order to view the FS section. There are a lot of members who lurk and never post much, but who may still want to buy something. I know when I've sold stuff here on occaision, many of the buyers were people with only 1 or 2 posts, even if they'd been members for years.

I do agree with the 30 day limit, though.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnwnyc View Post
    Is it also the case that you've removed the For Sale postings from the "unified" view? If so, I would think that most people would find this inconvenient, as I'm guessing it's the view that is bookmarked the most.

I think the 30-day restriction is certainly the way to go.

John
    I agree with John - 99% of the time, I use "Unified View". If the For Sale posts don't show up there...

Well, maybe it's a good thing. Perhaps I have enough lenses?