Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what filter system should I choose?

Re: what filter system should I choose?

Thanks for started the other thread Ben - I wasn't aware that Singh Ray was making 4x6 filters.

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    The difference in weight between the two systems can be measured in ounces.
    Or grams - your choice. And size can be measured in mm squared Robert Have you seen the size of that Lee wide angle hood for polarizer - plenty of room in your baby carriage for that eh?

Quote Originally Posted by erie patsellis View Post
    Brian,
    That would work great if (and I don't know if or not) the original poster is shooting color film, given the fact that many LF photographers shoot b&w, in which case the filters cited are of zero use. The only way to affect tonality in that case is to use filters when shooting.

erie
    Yes, I forgot that the specific red, green, yellow, etc. filters found in "Image > Adjust > Photo Filters" can't be used with b&w (at least not in the same way they're used with b&w in-camera). However, there are so many other ways to alter monochromatic tones in Photoshop that I think the basic idea is correct.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Glenn Mellen

Go Lee filter system... there's no better. As noted by others, they're much better than Cokin holders. Not only built better, but they also provide other benefits, such as:

a) Filter slides can be subtracted by simply removing by screwdriver instead of by hacksaw.

b) Filter slides can be added by simply adding more (available as accessories).

c) Filter slides can be adjusted to accommodate thinner filters (such as HiTech) by simply adjusting tension of the slide screws.

As a further note: I keep the adapter rings permanently mounted on all of my lenses... less fuss and bother with changing or installing adapters. Yes... an expensive alternative but the time savings are worth it... at least to me. Also... you can buy snap-on "lens caps" that fits onto the adapter rings... they're dirt-cheap ($8.95 for 3 as I recall at B&H) and they don't always pop off when slightly touched (as do many others).

I use the Lee 105mm polarizer attached to the front of one of my holders... has a wonderfully wide range of polarity and provides a pleasing deep blue color. I also use ND gradiants by Lee and Singh-Ray and HiTech. I prefer doing this in-camera instead of afterwards in PhotoShop... to my eye it appears more natural.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
    Have you seen the size of that Lee wide angle hood for polarizer - plenty of room in your baby carriage for that eh?
    No, unfortunately, I haven't. I bet it is pretty big. I think I can begin to imagine what it would look like; I have two normal Lee hoods (one slot, and slide on).