Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what filter system should I choose?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

what filter system should I choose?

I have few B+W UV for various sizes for lens protection. Now I got into 4x5 for landscape, I want to find a universal square format filter set. Mostly I want the full set from CPL to ND. The Cokin P or Lee sytem look alike. If I were to get any one of these, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Re: what filter system should I choose?

You don't say how you plan to print (i.e. darkroom or digital). However, if you plan to scan your film and then edit in Photoshop then you don't need any filters except a polarizer. Photoshop contains photo filters that are better better than traditional in-camera filters because you can adjust their effects or you can use a filter on only a portion of the image or you can use different filters for different parts of the image (e.g. a red filter to darken skies, a green filter to lighten foliage).
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    You don't say how you plan to print (i.e. darkroom or digital). However, if you plan to scan your film and then edit in Photoshop then you don't need any filters except a polarizer. Photoshop contains photo filters that are better better than traditional in-camera filters because you can adjust their effects or you can use a filter on only a portion of the image or you can use different filters for different parts of the image (e.g. a red filter to darken skies, a green filter to lighten foliage).
    Brian,
    That would work great if (and I don't know if or not) the original poster is shooting color film, given the fact that many LF photographers shoot b&w, in which case the filters cited are of zero use. The only way to affect tonality in that case is to use filters when shooting.

erie

Quote Originally Posted by erie patsellis View Post
    Brian,
    That would work great if (and I don't know if or not) the original poster is shooting color film, given the fact that many LF photographers shoot b&w, in which case the filters cited are of zero use. The only way to affect tonality in that case is to use filters when shooting.

erie
    Yes, I forgot that the specific red, green, yellow, etc. filters found in "Image > Adjust > Photo Filters" can't be used with b&w (at least not in the same way they're used with b&w in-camera). However, there are so many other ways to alter monochromatic tones in Photoshop that I think the basic idea is correct.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by mervynyan View Post
    I have few B+W UV for various sizes for lens protection. Now I got into 4x5 for landscape, I want to find a universal square format filter set. Mostly I want the full set from CPL to ND. The Cokin P or Lee sytem look alike. If I were to get any one of these, any suggestions?

Thanks,
    No question, get the Lee. The quality difference is readily apparent. I started with the Cokin, but would never go back to it .... the Lee system is just that good.

Quote Originally Posted by mervynyan View Post

Thanks,
    4x6 Grads and the Lee system. The Lee holder is significantly better constructed than the Cokin system. 4x6 grads give you enough filter to make hand-holding easily. I would take ND grads over trying to do it in Photoshop, just based on my own preferences. I'd prefer to only have to mess with the curves in PS, and would prefer to get all of the other stuff correct before I even get to the scanning process.

Now only if I could get a free Phase One P45+.......

I'm using the Cokin P system with Singh Ray filters - this set up is smaller and lighter than the Lee system. In the past I have had some problems with vignetting, but I believe that I have solved it by changing my step-up ring "strategy". If it weren't for the greater weight and size I wouldn't hesitate to change to the Lee system, despite the greater cost and my current level of Cokin P investment.

I carry two Cokin P holders in the field - one with the outer slot cut off (a hack saw does the trick) and the other unaltered. I typically use a single filter but it's nice to have the option to use two. Over the years I have had two cut-down single-slot Cokin P holders break - cutting off the outer slot weakens the inner slot, so it's good to have the a second one in the pack.

From all I've read here, if you can justify the cost, weight and size of the Lee system, you should go with it. Ben (above) has had his work featured on the Singh Ray site, and he's apparently jumped ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post

From all I've read here, if you can justify the cost, weight and size of the Lee system, you should go with it. Ben (above) has had his work featured on the Singh Ray site, and he's apparently jumped ship.
    I've jumped ship from the P-mount system, but not from Singh-ray's filters. I still have a variety of them, as I do Lee filters. Both are best-of-class.

Either way and you can't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
    From all I've read here, if you can justify the cost, weight and size of the Lee system, you should go with it.
    The difference in weight between the two systems can be measured in ounces.

Thanks for started the other thread Ben - I wasn't aware that Singh Ray was making 4x6 filters.

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    The difference in weight between the two systems can be measured in ounces.
    Or grams - your choice. And size can be measured in mm squared Robert Have you seen the size of that Lee wide angle hood for polarizer - plenty of room in your baby carriage for that eh?