Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Real Name (and Date of Birth reminder)

Your Real Name (and Date of Birth reminder)

The moderators have decided to add a new requirement that all users store their real name in their user profile (aka User CP). To that end, we've added a custom field. To find the new field, go to User Options. The Real Name field is the last question in the upper "Required" box near the top of the Options page.

The Real Name field is for administrative purposes only, and is only visible to Moderators of the LF Forum. As you might guess, it's so the site administrators know who you are, should you choose to use something less than your full, real name as your user ID.

While you are filling that in and if you haven't already done so, please also fill in a DOB that indicates you are 13 years old or older. This prevents problems with US federal law regarding storing young users personal information online. We're volunteers and would prefer not to spend any time visiting with the FBI if it can be avoided. So please fill that in.

Please fill in both by June 15, 2006. After that we will begin nagging you to do so.

Thank you for cooperating.
    Last edited by Tom Westbrook; 28-May-2006 at 14:30.

hermit

Re: Your Real Name (and Date of Birth reminder)

I certainly recognize the forum's right to require this. However, this was NOT a requirement when I made my original postings, so you are changing the rules AFTER THE FACT. Rather than insult the moderators by faking an identity, easy enough to do, I am requesting you close my account and strike all of my previous posts. I think this is only fair given that you have decided to change the rules 'after the fact'. Things get uglier on forums than they do in real life, face to face. This is pretty much a given. To avoid 'carryover' to 'real life situations', I simply choose to remain anonymous. If that means no longer being able to post, so be it. Thank You.

I've forgotten my password. What should I do?

Just try to log in and a link to reset it will show up on the next page. It sends a couple of emails, and the new password is numeric, so lust log in with the new pass-number and set it to anything you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Purdum
    I've forgotten my password. What should I do?

How do I change my date of birth?

Ron, I set it back to null values, you should be able to set it yourself now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall
    How do I change my date of birth?

The new policy is an alternative to requiring real names as your log in name (user name). It's not visible to anyone and will be treated as private info by the moderators so it won't be shared with other members. But if you still want your info removed, just send a request via the Contact Us form (link's at the bottom of the page).

Quote Originally Posted by hermit
    I certainly recognize the forum's right to require this. However, this was NOT a requirement when I made my original postings, so you are changing the rules AFTER THE FACT. Rather than insult the moderators by faking an identity, easy enough to do, I am requesting you close my account and strike all of my previous posts. I think this is only fair given that you have decided to change the rules 'after the fact'. Things get uglier on forums than they do in real life, face to face. This is pretty much a given. To avoid 'carryover' to 'real life situations', I simply choose to remain anonymous. If that means no longer being able to post, so be it. Thank You.

love the bit where it says:

"Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed."

do you know something about time travel that we don't?

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hermit
    ... To avoid 'carryover' to 'real life situations', I simply choose to remain anonymous. ...
    I've been myself for several years here, giving my real name all along. Not once have I experienced any kind of unpleasantness.

I have received the occasional email with questions within my areas of "competence", but far from a bothersome amount. Maybe ten in total, over - quite a few years?

It might help that I do my best to avoid being unpleasant to others on this forum (and all others).
    Last edited by Ole Tjugen; 28-May-2006 at 11:23.

Hermit,

You should have the right to remain publically anonymous, though I personally find that kind of odd and a bit chicken s...

But, if you are writing things on this forum that negatively "carry over" to your other life and don't want to publically accept responsibility for your statements, I suggest that you rethink the nature of your posts.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"