OK since I recently passed the __ decade mark, I've been trying to find a way of carrying my photo stuff (10x12, 14x17) for taking on some trails, city streets, etc. I originally thought of a baby carriage but that seemed a bit, er, precious and not particularly roomy or navigable. The idea of a jogging stroller was presented to me (in this forum, thank you!) and started me on this whole enterprise. I investigated dozens of models and all but 2 or 3 were deficient in some way. By a stroke of sheer serendipity, the best model is also the cheapest ($179 - $225 range) and not only that, but there are half a dozen or so (Schwinn Mark 3) currently on BIN on eBay:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...p=1%26fsoo%3D1

BUT, now the stroller has to be modified for photo useage. Remove the toddler seats (this is a stroller for two). They untie easily and they are completely removed from the top bar by 2 Phillips screws. You will then have something that looks like this:

Unlike many double joggers the floor (approximately 22"x28") of this jogger is flat (some just come up behind the seat) and of good area. You will notice though that the floor (back 19") is just a thin sheet of material and would not support your camera cases (they would bump into rocks, tear a hole in the floor, etc.). This is where that piece of 3/4" thick 16" x 19" plywood comes in (shown leaning against the stroller in above photo). It will straddle the gap between frame rods in the stroller giving you a secure floor. Simply screw in flat metal extension coupler pieces into the plywood to overlap out by an inch or so. The overlaps rest on the frame rods. I also stuck on little rubber bumpy things under the ends of the metal extensions to provide a smoother. less abrasive contact. Now, you may ask, why not make the plywood wider, say 18 or 20"? The problem is the material of the floor would go taught before the metal strips could engage the stroller rods. 16" is perfect (see all the research I've done for you ?). The next photo shows the pywood installed:

The last photo shows the stroller ready to roll with several bags of equipment stowed (and my equipment tends to be large!). Use a metal cup to catch the tripod feet!

Anyway, this set-up is relatively cheap and works great on many surfaces. You do have to start with the right (and did I mention cheapest?) jogging stroller and you do have to add the plywood floor, but even a clutz like I managed to do so. The wheels are quick release and the stroller collapses down in 2 min. You can also get a transparent (or opaque I guess) rain cover if you might get caught out. The supplied cover (with window for kids to look out through) might be too small if you have big equipment.
Hope this helps some of you who have been looking for back relief! PS this is easier to put together than to explain! PM me if you'd like more explanation.

-Richard K. we're down to the last unmelted patch of snow in Toronto...