Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geezer Photo Stroller Secrets Revealed...

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Geezer Photo Stroller Secrets Revealed...

OK since I recently passed the __ decade mark, I've been trying to find a way of carrying my photo stuff (10x12, 14x17) for taking on some trails, city streets, etc. I originally thought of a baby carriage but that seemed a bit, er, precious and not particularly roomy or navigable. The idea of a jogging stroller was presented to me (in this forum, thank you!) and started me on this whole enterprise. I investigated dozens of models and all but 2 or 3 were deficient in some way. By a stroke of sheer serendipity, the best model is also the cheapest ($179 - $225 range) and not only that, but there are half a dozen or so (Schwinn Mark 3) currently on BIN on eBay:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...p=1%26fsoo%3D1

BUT, now the stroller has to be modified for photo useage. Remove the toddler seats (this is a stroller for two). They untie easily and they are completely removed from the top bar by 2 Phillips screws. You will then have something that looks like this:

Unlike many double joggers the floor (approximately 22"x28") of this jogger is flat (some just come up behind the seat) and of good area. You will notice though that the floor (back 19") is just a thin sheet of material and would not support your camera cases (they would bump into rocks, tear a hole in the floor, etc.). This is where that piece of 3/4" thick 16" x 19" plywood comes in (shown leaning against the stroller in above photo). It will straddle the gap between frame rods in the stroller giving you a secure floor. Simply screw in flat metal extension coupler pieces into the plywood to overlap out by an inch or so. The overlaps rest on the frame rods. I also stuck on little rubber bumpy things under the ends of the metal extensions to provide a smoother. less abrasive contact. Now, you may ask, why not make the plywood wider, say 18 or 20"? The problem is the material of the floor would go taught before the metal strips could engage the stroller rods. 16" is perfect (see all the research I've done for you ?). The next photo shows the pywood installed:

The last photo shows the stroller ready to roll with several bags of equipment stowed (and my equipment tends to be large!). Use a metal cup to catch the tripod feet!

Anyway, this set-up is relatively cheap and works great on many surfaces. You do have to start with the right (and did I mention cheapest?) jogging stroller and you do have to add the plywood floor, but even a clutz like I managed to do so. The wheels are quick release and the stroller collapses down in 2 min. You can also get a transparent (or opaque I guess) rain cover if you might get caught out. The supplied cover (with window for kids to look out through) might be too small if you have big equipment.
    Hope this helps some of you who have been looking for back relief! PS this is easier to put together than to explain! PM me if you'd like more explanation.

-Richard K. we're down to the last unmelted patch of snow in Toronto...

Big Negs Rock!

Re: Geezer Photo Stroller Secrets Revealed...

Looks like you're ready to roll!
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

That's my idea of 'stylin.'

Good for you. I use a single, not a double for my gear.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

That's pretty slick, Richard, even if a bit bulky.

In contrast to your "geezer" approach, the DOM (dirty old man) alternative is to simply hire a couple of members of the Swedish Bikini Team to carry the stuff.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    That's pretty slick, Richard, even if a bit bulky.

In contrast to your "geezer" approach, the DOM (dirty old man) alternative is to simply hire a couple of members of the Swedish Bikini Team to carry the stuff.
    I think I like Ralph's idea the best! You want to send a couple over to Ventura for me. Sun and surf just minutes away!

Richard I think it looks like this would work for my 11x14 and 8x20's. It would be nice to take them both out for a stroll.

Jim

Thanks for the tip
    I just ordered mine
    on ebay buy it now
    179.00 plus 25.00 for shipping

Thanks
    Tom S

Well done...and...I wonder if a riding a Seqway and pulling the gear would make it a trvois?

Quote Originally Posted by Clueless Winddancing View Post
    Well done...and...I wonder if a riding a Seqway and pulling the gear would make it a trvois?
    Travois? Only if you removed the rear wheels.

Cheers,
    Geary

Neat idea - Looks like something I would like to try - but I have a couple of questions -

What were the other 2 or 3 models that you considered?

Is the handle attachment strong enough to tip it back on just two wheels to get over rough ground?

Is the tripod secure just leaning and does it get in the way of your hands on the grip?

Also, how small does this become when folded?

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

I looked at a similar INstep model and a Chariot Cougar. The Instep was more expensive and the Chariot way more expensive (~$600). Also, the floor is not flat in the Chariot but comes up behind the seat. The only real drawback (but maybe not for our purposes) is that there are no brakes. Yes the handle is strong enough for tipping. The tripod actually leans against the cross piece of the stroller, not the handle bar, so no problem. I just wedge it in and it's fine. When the stroller is folded (cross bar pops out, handle bar must be removed - 2 min work, and the 3 wheels are quick release) it measures around 35x30x6 inches. You do need to put a piece of plywood between cross bars on the floor and I would also suggest removing the bike attachment rod assembly. For $179, this is a real back saver over a lot of terrains. Let me know if you have more questions!