Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greg Crewdson Show

Greg Crewdson Show

I just got back from checking out the show at Lurhing Augustine gallery in NYC. New work is amazing, show was amazing. He was there signing books and I got one. Really nice guy. You all should check it out if you can. Prints were beautiful.

http://www.luhringaugustine.com/

Link to gallery.

-chris

Re: Greg Crewdson Show

Quote Originally Posted by CTSELLAS View Post
    I just got back from checking out the show at Lurhing Augustine gallery in NYC. New work is amazing, show was amazing. He was there signing books and I got one. Really nice guy. You all should check it out if you can. Prints were beautiful.

http://www.luhringaugustine.com/

Link to gallery.

-chris
    Chris,

Sounds like a pretty neat show. I like Credson's work and would have liked to seen it.

However, I wonder if we can really count Crewdson as a still photographer? He never touchs a camera, makes the exposure, loads the holder, and so on.

He designs and directs the shoots so to me he is more of a director than a photographer.

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    However, I wonder if we can really count Crewdson as a still photographer? He never touchs a camera, makes the exposure, loads the holder, and so on.

He designs and directs the shoots so to me he is more of a director than a photographer.
    This debate has gone on for a while about Crewdson. I choose to call him a photographer, as very few of us actually do it all ourselves. Most of us rely on others to execute our vision at one or more stage in the process: assistants, labs, post, printers, or framers. Gregory Crewdson certainly takes direct responsibility for the camera placement and framing, but once the tripod is in place the camera never moves. Somebody else takes reponsibility for refocusing the dozens and dozens of times it takes to get every plane sharp. Quite an undertaking, no?

As much help he has, he still makes beautiful photographs.

Who cares who does the mechanics if Crewdson masterminds the whole thing?

C

Richard Avedon has how many assistants?

As far as I'm aware, from both legal papers on intellectual copyright and from experience, the person who thought it up owns it. That means in art that Damien Hirst sold hundreds of works that were made by his assistants, but they followed his design under his direction (I'm talking about the paint splatters).

To me it doesn't matter. If someone went to all the effort to think up and design something, who cares who put it together?

I bought Crewdson's book a few weeks ago. It's really nice.

I saw an interesting program on Crewdson recently. His are choreographed scenes with actors, props, lighting, water and fog added for effrects etc. He then shoots 8x10color film at different exposures out of which bits and pieces are extracted from each scan and montaged to produce the final print. His shoots are more like movie sets minus the rolling cameras - movies that don't move. He's kind of taking pictures of dreams and is very successfull at it.

I've seen two of his books and both were fascinating. I was too lazy to read about the set-up so that helps process what I was seeing. They look obviously set up but I didn't know about the big production. I find that more interesting than a lot of what passes for video art these days. The static nature of his work posits an interesting relation to the time element that is photography's meme. Time framed or squared or something....

Well I talked to him, and a friend of mine is very good friends with him and yes he has a million people on his crew, but his pictures are his. I am actually now thinking of attempting of doing the same thing as he does...photographing the same image at different depths of field and putting them together. Ill post it when I am done.

chris

Here are two links with more details about his productions. In the first one, he is seen behind a "Hasselblad Sinar" camera.
    http://jpgmag.com/stories/1194
    http://www.aperture.org/crewdson/