Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why we are the elite

Why we are the elite

I have come to realize, and have decided to make this my first post:

we are the elite of photographers. Not to sound like a nazi, but us guys(and some gals) that get our thrills out of using "ancient technology" are the elite of photographers, IMO.

the reason why i have come to this conclusion is the ever increasing popularity of digital. To be honest, i have seen some awesome work come off of digital hardware. But whenever I look at a print that someone has just spent the last 30 days working on in photoshop to make 'perfect', i have to wince.

I chuckle when i see people waiting in line at my local photo school( Tri-Community Photo Center, Covina CA), waiting for their prints for 8-10 hours after uploading, where as i can go into the darkroom, take out a sheet of paper, take out my negative, and make a perfectly acceptable print in about 20 minutes, tops.

But in a world where old-fashioned photographers like us on this site can come together and unite, great things can happen!

I work at a camera shop, behind the film counter, and to be honest, i have learned so much! My love for film has grown even more, and even though i have started to embrace digital in the sense of the technology shift; I still shoot film because that is what I am comfortable with.

Many people older than I(i'm 20) tell me that I'm chasing a dream(shooting film that is).

But all i can do is smile at them, and just go back under the darkcloth.

Blessings

dan
    Last edited by dsimaging; 10-Apr-2008 at 22:16. Reason: wrong color of text

Re: Why we are the elite

Welcome aboard! Enjoy the cruise.

Just a note of interest for you, but there are several very technical individuals (and technologically knowledgeable) on this forum. Some of us don't use a darkroom. Some of us use fairly new cameras, though obviously film is a mature technology. There are opportunities to mix the best of the old (film) with some of the best of the new (scanners).

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

i totally agree! i have had some terrific experiences with imacon scanners, and lightjet(chromira) printing!

i don't poo-poo on digital, just turn my nose up a bit =)

dan

I like Ole's terminology better--"luddite" I find it nearly impossible to say "luddite" and not smile, whilst the term "elite" makes me think that I've enlisted into an organization which will require me to run when nothing is chasing me.

Welcome aboard, Dan!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Glenn Mellen

Hmmm... smacks of elitism to me [ ;-) ].

Personally I believe we're MUCH closer to being the oddballs of society rather than fitting in with elite of society. Would "the normal" obsess so much over a simple tool to capture an image? Would the normal spend all day hunkered under a hot dark cloth in order to come home with perhaps 10-images? Doesn't sound much like something even the normal of society would do... let alone the elite.

I'm definitely not elite... Insane, most likely... obsessed, for sure.

Hey, Glenn.

I've always been drawn to the eccentric. Normal bores the hell out of me. The more eccentric and different the camera, the more fun. Bring on the "elite" oddballs every time, obsession and all!

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    Hey, Glenn.

I've always been drawn to the eccentric. Normal bores the hell out of me. The more eccentric and different the camera, the more fun. Bring on the "elite" oddballs every time, obsession and all!

Tim
    Try these:
    http://www.boyofblue.com/cameras.html
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Confidently Agnostic!

You aren't supposed to say things like that, even if you think them.

I love this kind of photography, but I don't really lord it over anybody (except occasionally online I will get into a pissing match with some DSLR gearhead, I admit). If anything it's given me an escape from egotistical gear-focussed photography; I'm out there to enjoy myself and hopefully make some nice images. I don't need to compare myself to the other photographers, and I don't care what they use.

Nobody belongs to an elite just because he/she uses some kind of tool (camera in this case). Come on, this is so selfish.

You might belong to an elite based upon your results, at most. The camera is just a tool, wether it is film or digital.

Get a life!

Glenn Mellen

Lenser - Ahhh... now THAT's the word I should'a come up with.... Eccentric. MUCH better to consider myself as an eccentric instead of insane.

Wait a minute... I carry a 70-lb backpack instead of a digi-cam in a pocket... fight with TSRA agents at airports... pay multi-hundreds of dollars to ship camera gear and film to locations if I don't want to fight with TSRA agents.....

Sorry... no, that's WAY beyond eccentric... that's for sure insane.

Greg - Now those are cameras!!!