Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: suggestions for a newbie ...

Re: suggestions for a newbie ...

Another thing about monorails, cheap or not, is that most of them have plenty of movements, each of them with its own, dedicated control/lock. Field cameras usually have less movements available, with some of them sharing controls. You may not need all of them, but it's good for learning.

I found out that I prefer the flexibility of monorails. If only they weren't so heavy and clumsy to carry around...

Also, don't forget a good, solid tripod and head to go with your camera or you will get frustrated quickly. Just a thought.

If you live near one of the big cities be sure to check out Craigslist -- NYC may be a special case but not a day goes by without a decent deal on LF gear-- several monorail setups in the past few days, for example.

I scored a stellar deal on my 8x10 Deardorff just by eyeballing craigslist, sometimes people are just dumping gear...

Good luck and as one of the newbies around here I also recommend Steve and Jack's books, I own and have learned a ton from both of them.

JT

A used field camera may be a better option if you can stretch your budget a little. A used Zone VI or Wista (under $600 used) or possibly a new Chamonix 4x5 (700 plus shipping) should be all you ever need. Add a 135 or 150 mm lens and later a 210 lens and you are all set. There are other even cheaper options. A good Crown Graphic should be under $200 though it won't give you too much movement., but then you don't need too much movements for most landscape shots.

Sincerely.

Hany.

Well, I ended up with an ebay deal - a Cambo monorail that is broken for $82. I received it today, went to the hardware store and for $3.41 bought four screws and washers and it will be fixed.

I need to buy a ground glass for it, as well as a lens/lens board, but figured for the price, it will be a good camera to play with - especially for the price.

My next question is will any ground glass (with a grid etched in it) work or should I go for a fresnel screen? Also, polaroid back. I figured I'd get a cheapie so I can get immediate results. Does any polaroid back work with the current instant films from Fuji and Polaroid, or do I need a specific "vintage."

thanks again, this site is being a big help.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffoto View Post
    Well, I ended up with an ebay deal - a Cambo monorail that is broken for $82. I received it today, went to the hardware store and for $3.41 bought four screws and washers and it will be fixed.

I need to buy a ground glass for it, as well as a lens/lens board, but figured for the price, it will be a good camera to play with - especially for the price.

My next question is will any ground glass (with a grid etched in it) work or should I go for a fresnel screen? Also, polaroid back. I figured I'd get a cheapie so I can get immediate results. Does any polaroid back work with the current instant films from Fuji and Polaroid, or do I need a specific "vintage."

thanks again, this site is being a big help.
    Contact Satin Snow for a ground glass. No need to spend the money for a fresnel.

any 545 Polaroid back should work

when you order a gg or a screen brightener tell them what camera you have, the dimensions from one camera to another vary a little bit

If you have not done so here are some good intro books

Jim Stone's User's Guide to the View Camera
    my book Using the View Camera
    Jack Dykinga's book Large Format Nature Photography

try your local library

steve simmons

Did you get the long monorail or the shorter version? Mine is the long version, about 23". I think the shorter version is about 17". When you use it don't do what I did and compose with the camera front standard not at the end of the rail: I had a good photo of my rail in every 4x5 negative I shot that day! Push the front standard to the front and focus with the back standard (it will stab you in the chest).

As for Satin Snow, order it from Dave Parker, but get yourself a cheap GG from eBay so you can use the camera immediately, as Dave's glass (which is excellent and I have on my two backs on the AK1) takes a long time to get hand-made and shipped; he is in great demand. No need for a fresnel with Satin Snow, and with medium to long lenses.

Enjoy! After lugging that big Cambo around you will find a wood field camera no challenge at all.

An alternative is Bill Maxwell in Georgia. He makes very good gg's and may be quicker.

You can also try Calumet to see if they have anything in stock.

steve simmons

Thanks again for the suggestions, you all are so helpful.

I went to put pieces back together and discovered the damage to the camera is more than a few bent, and easily fixed, pieces. The front standard (the cast part) is bent, so the camera would be nearly impossible to ever fix correctly without having to buy lots of spare parts. While the entry price of $82.99 was sweet, to get a working kit would cost more than many others out there on ebay, so I'm going to send it back and wait for the right camera.

I did see something on this camera that I realize would be a feature I want: geared rise and fall (this was pressure activated).

Alright, more research is in order - rereading this thread, other threads, other info - and then make a much better, and informed, decision.

Oh, I also just ordered Steve and Jack's books.

after further research, for my needs/desires/wants I am thinking field camera.

Are there any real discernible differences between the major brands in quality/useability: Wista, Shen-Hao, Tachihara (sp), Toyo and generic wood?

I'm keeping my options open, waiting for my books to arrive and scouring ebay and buy/sell here to get an idea on pricing, etc.

Thanks again.