Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why take landscape photographs?

Why take landscape photographs?

This is not a technical question but a philosophical one. I don't know how many of you are interested in landscape photographing, but those who are I am inters ted in hearing your responses. Thanks.

What has always drawn me to landscape photography is using it as a way to get aw ay from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. In early adulthood I yearned to leave the city, the crowds of people and to be more in contact with nature. To t ake in the natural world, to relax and free my mind of stress. Photographing hel ps me focus on the landscape and in a sense meditate. This "meditation" allows m e to concentrate on the landscape before me, to quiet my mind and over the years this has opened up for me new ways of seeing the world we live in. (This type of photographing naturally led me to large format with it's slow and precise tec hnique with wonderful detail in the end product.) And it is these things I obse rve and experience I try to convey in my landscape photography. I was interested in hearing from others, what motivates you in taking landscape photographs. Not for commercial purposes, but for personal work. Why do you try to make an "arti stic" landscape photograph?

By taking nature photos, I allow myself the time to notice the beauty that is to be found in nature that at a "normal" time I wouldn't even notice. And by exhibiting such images, the viewer too is given a peek at such wonders that are to be found in little things like the structure of a tree bark, or a fabulous cloud formation.

'Cause I can't imagine NOT taking landscape photographs!

So I can take all my exposed film into my dark room and screw it all up, then ask all you guys and gals for help! Seriously, I make "artistic" landscape photographs because it's the best way I know how to express to others what I see in front of me without saying a word.

Kevin Kolosky

Dan

Very well said.

Kevin

For the same reasons you do Saulius. Regards,

Saulius, Your question is a very valid question, and the responses will also be valid, but more interestingly, diverse. The question of why Homo Erectus does things is quite profound. In the History of Photography, early photographers were intrigued by the "experiment" of "capturing" light & shadows. I still think that is valid today. I for one think in terms of "capturing" a slice of time, to record a "fact" and to find "solitude & tranquility" in my work. However,for me, it does not have to be landscape subject matter. From a Social Scientist point of view, I'm interested in the "Zeitgiest" of my time & place--people, places, events & things. I also believe there is the element of mortality in photography--a hidden wish to leave behind a "record" of our brief life on earth. The "camera" is a tool by definition, and Mankind has always had a hand/mind relationship--of leaving "artifacts". And what is Art??????? That blown out concept in todays world is in my opinion, anything that is genuine, original and creative--from one's own soul.

This could be a doctoral thesis, so I guess I'll end by recalling a book/author of the radical '60's---Jerry Rubin, "Do it"

Raymond A. Bleesz Histographer/Documentary Photographer

I want to recall what the landscape looked like before an oil well or housing development appeared there.

Because it's there.

Because in this way I can deceive myself that I'm able to fix and understand a little portion of the "absolute", even if I really understand that all I do is just to try to read the incomprehensible rules of the Universe. Nothing more. By the way I was bewatched by some picture of Ansel Adams, I like very much to show my photos to my friends (wich take pictures with compact cameras .... I'm treacherous, I have to admit it).... and sometimes I'm able to sell some photo of mine.