Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cezanne5500 Calibration

Cezanne5500 Calibration

I am having trouble calibrating my recently purchased cezanne5500 scanner. I am scanning color negs and the scans are to contrasty and oversaturated. I have tried to calibrate the scanner but I am not able to find the lab calibration files that the calibration calls for. Also, if i calibrate with a reflective calibration sheet will it calibrate for negs or do I have to buy a transparency calibration sheet, they seem to cost close to 200 dollar?
    Thanks,
    Howard

Re: Cezanne5500 Calibration

There aren't any IT8 targets for color negatives. For some reason the orange mask causes problems. Online I once came across a method for putting something close to a real icc profile by treating the scanner as a digital camera. I'll do some searching and come up with it.

As I said in another thread, I've made ICC profiles for a bunch of slide films using Wolf Faust's IT8 targets. If you'd like them, pm me your email address and I'll send them. Basically, when bringing the scan into photoshop, you tag the image with icc profile and then convert to your working space.

I haven't scanned any color negatives on the Cezanne, and so I can't give you any really good advice. However, you might try the following. In the manual adjustment tab, there are four columns of number HD (High Light Density) SD (Shadow Density) Min (minimum output) Max (maximum output.) . For HD, enter 0 for each for each fo the channels, i.e. the rgb numbers. For SD, enter 4 for each of the channels. For Min enter 0. For Max enter 255. You can quickly tab through the numbers. See if this helps.

Thanks Peter - I will send a pm to you.
    Have you used the maintenance tool provided with the scanner? And if so what do you input when asked to select a LAB calibration data file? I can not find any acceptable files and therefore can not perform a calibration.
    It sounds like the icc profiles you are offering are used to color correct in photoshop but I think I need to calibrate the scanner first.
    Thanks.

I'm scanning some color negatives as we speak. Unfortunately, you can't change HD as SD numbers when scanning as a negative. (I've been scanning all of my bw negatives as positives, and so I hadn't run into this.) I've used the maintenance tool to run a test on my scanner when I got it, but I haven't tried to "calibrate" it. Once these scans are done, I'll look into it.

Ok. So I scan a color negative frame twice. The first time, I scanned it as a color negative, using the "standard" setting for film choice. I changed the min/max settings to 0 and 255. The second time I scanned the negative as a positive, using the settings outlined above. I then imported both into Photoshop with no color management chosen. I left the neg scan as is. I inverted the second scan and using a curve adjustment layer, I used the black eye dropper to click on the orange negative base, the white eye dropper to click on something in the photo that's supposed to be white, and the middle eye dropper to click on something that supposed to be middle gray. (My curve eye droppers are set as follows: black set to 20,20,20; white set to 245,245,245; and gray set to 133,133,133.) The image was way too light, and so I created another curves adjustment layer with no adjustments to the curve. After clicking ok, I changed it's blending mode to multiply. The image from the positive scan now looks pretty good.

I then did the same type of edits using the negative scan. The opacity of the "multiply" layer had to be lower significantly.

The end result is that the positive scan produced a much better result.

This is very preliminary work, but at least it presents some options.

Hopefully, those with more experience using this scanner to scan color negative film will chime in.

Profiles for negatives don't really make sense. For transparencies, yes; for negatives, no.

The best way I've found to deal with negatives is to use Lasersoft Silverfast AI. By collecting information and data from negative manufacturers on each film brand, they've been able to help users get a scan and inverts to more accurate colors. There's a drop down list of manufacturers and brands. You simply select your particular film from a list, and off you go.

Of course, this options depends on Lasersoft having a version that's compatible with your scanner.

Note that, their system is not profile based.

Peter - Although I believe good scans are available using your method, I would hope that there is an easier, more accurate way to achieve accurate results within the Color genius software.
    This should be much easier!
    Have you tried calibration in the maintainer?

Hi,

Not yet. I'll have to read a bit in the manual first.

Have you tried the various negative types available in Color Genius?

Neil, Silverfast isn't available for the Cezanne.

Section 4-5 of the Color Genius manual (Negative AI film Parameter Set) talks about how to make a conversion template for films not already built in to the software.

I did perform the Negative AI film Parameter Set but found the results were still too contrasty and oversaturated. Maybe i will try that again but is there a way with negatives to prevent blowing out highlights and filling in shadows?
    There ought to be!