Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cezanne5500 Calibration

Re: Cezanne5500 Calibration

Hi Howard,

Sorry for being unclear. It's called IPHotoMinus. It's downloadable from http://www.iphoto.coloraid.de and http:www.littlecms.com/iphoto

I'm haven't used the one you mention in your email.

Btw., making a profile like this should give you results very close to the icc profiles I sent you.

-Peter

Thanks Peter - That clears that up but will I be able to get my screen super maintainer to recognize it so I can use my Wolf Faust IT8 target and get my scanner calibrated?
    I never figured out how to input the profiles you sent me, by the way!
    I'm shooting color neg.
    H

Howard,

ICC profiles don't work for color negatives.

For slide, you use my settings in colorgenius. Then when you import the file into photoshop, you assign the appropriate icc file and convert to you working space.

I was not able to get the Screen Maintenance tool to work, and I'm a little unsure as to it purpose. For example, does it effect color negative scan or just slide scans? ...

-Peter

There are plenty of profiling freeware tools out there - if you have a measured target to calibrate to, and the reference file for that target, then you can use whatever you like. I've used the same one for years which Peter mentions in his post from http://littlecms.com/iphoto/download.htm

You need to get the scan as raw as possible - no auto anything. Set the white point and black points on your scanned target file (i.e. scan the target as raw as possible, then set the white and black points), save it and plug it into one of these tools...

You know Ted had been scanning color negs for me that looked great, but I don't know if they were done on the Cezzane or the IQsmart and of course saddly I can't ask now.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

My Cezanne not only scans color negs with too much contrast and oversaturation, but also transparencies. This is why I believe that I need to run the super maintainer software to get my scanner properly calibrated, as I am hoping to correct both.
    Unfortunately, when asked to select a LAB calibration data file during the calibration procedure in the maintainence program, I can not find and input a relevant file.
    DO you think that this Iphotominus program will create the file I need if I input the wolf faust word document?
    I really don't know where to go from here!

Have you checked your calibration strip? Please note that this is very delicate. Follow the handling advice in the manual.

I seem to remember that you talked to someone at Screen about this. Didn't that person recommend getting one of the IT8 test slides? You might contact them again.

Alternatively, it might be a problems with your settings in the software. Why don't you tell use what all the settings in colorgenius are? Maybe we can spot something.

I would gladly share the color genius settings, which ones are you referring to and where do I find them?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hbjornson View Post
    Unfortunately, when asked to select a LAB calibration data file during the calibration procedure in the maintainence program, I can not find and input a relevant file.
    DO you think that this Iphotominus program will create the file I need if I input the wolf faust word document?
    I really don't know where to go from here!
    the file the program is looking for is the reference file for the calibration target you are using. these targets are basically an array, with each location containing a specific color. the reference file specific to that target tells the software what color is in each location. therefore, once the target and scanned, the software can determine what color the scan yielded versus what color was supposed to be there, and create the profile to account for the differences. the result is perfect color.

so, you need to have an IT8 target and the corresponding reference file. once you are armed with both, you can scan the target, open the file in iphoto, point iphoto to your reference file, and have iphoto create your color profile.

i could not get the screen application to recognize the reference file for my target, so this is precisely what i did, and my colors are spot-on now... dead match for my slides. when i import the scans to photoshop, i make sure to assign the profile i created in iphoto before converting to my working colorspace.

like i said, perfect color every time.

i hope this helps... though i might have misunderstood the question!

Thanks for all the suggestions, i really believe that if I was able to use IPhotoMinus my problems might be solved.
    However, after having downloaded IPhotoMinus/ICC Profile Generator, IPhoto ICC Profile Inspector Install program, and IPhoto ICC Profile Inspector source code from http://littlecms.com/iphoto/download.htm I still can not find an application.
    I can not seem to open up a program from these downloads onto my mac to input my reference file into.
    Is there a trick? I feel like I'm playing Myst and can't solve the next riddle!
    Howard