Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stinehour Press Announces End of Operations

Re: Stinehour Press Announces End of Operations

$30,000 for an 80 page book in 1,000 copies is not out of line at all if you want to work with a quality printer.

You would only have to sell the book for $30 to break even on the printing and binding.

It costs us a lot more than $30,000 for a much smaller book than 80 pages, but we print our Lodima Press books in Belgium in 600-line screen quadtone and as someone said earlier in this thread: "you get what you pay for."

On the other hand, it is possible to get quality books printed in China, and they are considerably less expensive to produce than those printed in the USA or in Europe.

Michael A. Smith

multiplex

if anyone is getting a book made at meridian and there on a proof/visit
    send me a pm, i live down the road, and would
    be happy to enjoy a cup of coffee with you ...

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    if anyone is getting a book made at meridian and there on a proof/visit
    send me a pm, i live down the road, and would
    be happy to enjoy a cup of coffee with you ...
    I would never choose Meridian for any project. Although they have very good quality and excellent customer service - their line screen doesn't come close to what the printer I work with offers (Meridian offers 250 vs. Brilliant @ 400) and their prices are nearly double what I can get. In the end, I can get the exact same paper as they can, the exact same binding materials and better printing quality for thousands less.

One of their most recent quotes they sent me was over $7500 what I could get a book printed, bound and shipped for.

"When lowest cost is always the determining factor, it might be higher than we think.”

Great line and very true I think.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by David Spivak-Focus Magazine View Post
    I would never choose Meridian for any project. Although they have very good quality and excellent customer service - their line screen doesn't come close to what the printer I work with offers (Meridian offers 250 vs. Brilliant @ 400) and their prices are nearly double what I can get. In the end, I can get the exact same paper as they can, the exact same binding materials and better printing quality for thousands less.

One of their most recent quotes they sent me was over $7500 what I could get a book printed, bound and shipped for.
    david, i didn't suggest that you get your work printed+bound by them,
    i just offered a cup of coffee to a fellow large format photographer, if s/he happened
    to be in the area and i was free/could get away ... sorry if i suggested otherwise...

well, i guess from your response, i won' t be meeting you for coffee ...

i am sure there are others who don't have the same feelings for meridian,
    irving penn studios, rizzoli, mit press, risd and a slew of others certainly don't ...

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    david, i didn't suggest that you get your work printed+bound by them,
    i just offered a cup of coffee to a fellow large format photographer, if s/he happened
    to be in the area and i was free/could get away ... sorry if i suggested otherwise...

well, i guess from your response, i won' t be meeting you for coffee ...

i am sure there are others who don't have the same feelings for meridian,
    irving penn studios, rizzoli, mit press, risd and a slew of others certainly don't ...
    Correction: I have no negative feelings towards them. They have excellent customer service and their printing quality is very good. I enjoy reading Blindspot Magazine which is printed by them.

I do know for a fact that they are more expensive than other printers and their line screen (printing quality) is not as high as some other printers -- one of which I deal with.

Their prices are most likely very high due to the taxes in Rhode Island which are remarkably high.

I found a notice to this auction in the Burlington Free Press this morning...

http://thcauction.com/06242009Stinehour.html

http://thcauction.com/06242009Stineh...tos/index.html

Michael Alpert

As a long-time customer of Stinehour Press I am heart-broken to see the images on the auction website. That great place has been reduced to rubble. Much of the equipment has value only in the context of a working letterpress shop, which, I guess, is now an oxymoron. It is especially dispiriting to see the workrooms and offices where an extraordinary staff did superlative work. There are other fine printers, but that particular printing house is missed and will not be replaced. If there is a bright side to the demise of Stinehour, I cannot see it.
    Last edited by Michael Alpert; 18-Jun-2009 at 13:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Alpert View Post
    As a long-time customer of Stinehour Press I am heart-broken to see the images on the auction website. That great place has been reduced to rubble. Much of the equipment has value only in the context of a working letterpress shop, which, I guess, is now an oxymoron. What is of especially dispiriting is to see the workrooms and offices where an extraordinary staff did superlative work. There are other fine printers, but that particular printing house is missed and will not be replaced. If there is a bright side to the demise of Stinehour, I cannot see it.
    Those Kaiser ProVision HF light systems are very expensive, and in the pictures, look like they are in very good condition. When they were new the 6 tube with dimmer retailed for $3380.00 each and the 2 tube was $1772.00 each, without a cine stand. The units with just a high/low type switch were a bit less.
    Today the replacement units are about 30% more expensive. Also that Leica S1 was not a throwaway it it's day either.

The press release was refreshingly honest.

Too bad they couldn't compete.

Also, it looks like a lot of book samples are still hanging around the place.

If I were nearby, that's what I'd be bidding on.