Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Zone VI 4x5 Field: Function v Myth....

Re: Zone VI 4x5 Field: Function v Myth....

Hi BigSteveG,

Currently Chamonix has a few horizontal only 5x7 cameras at their factory. Well, there are actually 5x8 horizontal cameras with 5x7 backs. The factory can make a 4x5 reducing back for you, but you will need to wait for a few weeks for that. They plan to make some real reversible 5x7 cameras later this year if you can wait.

Maybe you should consider a 8x10 camera with a 5x7 back. Just skip the 4x5. Seriously. Or better yet, a 8x10 with a whole plate and a 5x7 back. You will be settled for a long time until you get bitten by the ULF bug.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSteveG View Post
    Developed my 1st 4x5 negs on Sat. They are stupendous. Now, I'm already craving a nice folder. I am interested in a Zone VI Field I've seen. It's mahogany w/ balck anodized fittings. The seller assures me it was made Zone VI and is not one of the several permutations of this camera. So, firstly, what is the value of this camera w/ two matching lens boards in Mint condition? What features does this camera offer that make it worthwhile? would I be better served by purchasing a Shen-Hao? ANy users of the Zone VI able to comment or offer caveats?
    Mr. Big -

The camera you describe is the Zone VI Lightweight - the giveaway is that the metal parts are annodized aluminum. It was designed and manufactured after Calumet acquired Zone VI, but its technical specification (bellows draw, movements, etc) are about the same as the last model built during Picker's ownership when the metal was gold-plated brass.

I have had a Zone VI Lightweight for about six years and I like it very much. Obviously, the functionality of wooden field cameras is fairly basic, so preferences between various brands is probably based as much on emotion as it is on actual performance factors. The Zone VI design is noted for its generous bellows draw and movements. Whether you need the full range of movements and bellows that the Zone VI offers is another matter - I rarely use everything that it has to offer, but there are times when its reassuring to know that I can push things a bit further with that camera than I could with another brand.

The Lightweight (with annodized aluminum) is lighter in weight than the prior model (gold-plated brass). The finish on the mahogany is lighter in color, but that's purely cosmetic. Frankly, I thought the gold-plated brass was a bit 'loud', and prefer the understated appearance of the black aluminum. Having the camera a few pounds lighter is fine, but when you put it in a pack with a couple of lenses and some holders, that difference becomes very small. The Zone VI Lightweight is less rigid than the original model (aluminum versus brass - duh) but its rigid enough.

Calumet discontinued the Zone VI field camera two years ago. At the time, a new camera sold for $1495, and undrilled lens boards were $40 (IIRC). So a used camera in very good condition, with new board, might go for $1000. Before you commit, take a good look at the camera. The most obvious signs of use will include some minor scratching of the finish. Be sure to carefully check the bellows - its possible for careless folding of the camera to result in abrasion of the bellows, and signs of wear might indicate that the camera has been used carelessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    One of the first Zone VI was a copy of a Wisner, but not made by him.
    WRONG

The first 128 camera sold under the name Zone VI Classic was a joint design between Zone VI and Wisner. Wisner did not keep up to his side of the deal and Zone VI was forced to make the cameras. Wisner did not design the camera. See how to build a camera news letter. Written by F Picker and edited by R Wisner.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

I have been using the walnut, Made in VT version for 6 months now. I also use a Tachihara. A few observations.

The Zone VI and the Tachi are very different animals. The Tachi is lighter, better suited to backpacking, but has less of a range of movements overall.

The Zone VI is much heavier, more movements, less suited to backpacking, but better, IMO, for architechual use or when you have big, heavy lenses. So I personally do not accept the arguement to get a Tachihara in stead, as I use both, and would not rid myself of either.

I think the build quality on my older Zone VI is better than the new Shen Haos. Never seen a Chamonix in person, so cannot comment there.

Price, IMO, depends on quality and cindition of the camera. Mine, although used, was almost like new. Some others I have seen are very beat up and abused, so in that case, you are better off with *any* new camera. For example, I bought a new Tachihara because in my limited exposure, any used ones I had access to, either on Ebay or nearby in person where so beat up or worn that it was nuts to buy used. I spent only an extra $100 on a new camera that had a sound bellows and all parts there and working.

If you think a $100 is a lot, yes, it is, but I can tell you the cost of replacing missing parts, replacing or repairing a worn bellows, etc, etc, will cost you a lot more than $100. So take a good look at the camera in person, inspect it will, before you decide
    good luck
    joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Louie/Joe,
    Thanks for your sound advice. I think I will wait a bit and not jump the gun as I was going to do. I intend on using the camera for landscape and portraits primarily and do not need an over abundance of movements. I may start looking into the cham.

I have a Zone VI mahogony with brass that I purchased in 89, serial 2123. going up for sale. I love the camera but I got a new chamonix, lighter and smaller, and I can't justify having both. It is in excellent condition, no light leaks. Only the brass is tarnished. It will come with a copal 0 and a copal 1 lensboard. It also has a Satin Snow gg and a clamshell gg protector.
    If anyone is interested drop me a line. Sunday it goes on ebay, But I will let it go here for $600. I even still have the shipping box it came in.

Eric Biggerstaff

Alan,

Lovely camera, I am sure you hate to see it go.

YOu might want to start a new thread however.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Obviously once Zone VI got into production themselves they made quite a few camera's. Mine was shipped to me in June 88, serial #752. Great camera.

Eric, I used it on the trip to Chaco, It has been a great camera and if the Chamonix had never come around I doubt that I would even look to replace it. I put in the for sale section also.