Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zone VI 4x5 Field: Function v Myth....

Re: Zone VI 4x5 Field: Function v Myth....

Arrghhh.....I'm getting gaaassssyyyyy

You know, something that concerns me...and I don't know if it should....is that I would to try making 5x7 contact prints at some point. The shen-hao system becomes all the more attractive. The 5x7 model apprently weighs the same. The ZV purchase would be kit w/ lenses, bag, other accesssories. And I already have two fuji lenses that I could use w/ the Shen. If I do buy the ZV, I'll need to seel off the lenses to help w/ the new purchase. Also, Ritter tells me the camera is indeed a Calumet model. Side question: Which are the best viewing screens? I've the Beattie Intenscreen is 2 stops brighter than the aperture. Those beatties are quite expensive at B&H as well.

I have a friend with a Zone VI made by Wista (very short period) and there are others I've seen that appear to have been made by Tachihara. It seems there are several makes of Zone VI cameras because like Calumet, they re-branded and re-badged cameras made for them.

Speaking of, Calumet also rebadged Tachihara cameras and called the Calument wood field cameras.

I would not pay more for a Zone VI camera than its basis sells for.

You're going to have to do some research on the various Zone VI models to make sure you get what you want. Or you could just make your life easy and buy a Tachihara or Shen Hao or get on the waitlist for a Chamonix.

Dave Karp

There was an article in View Camera Magazine that laid out who made which Zone VI cameras, and when. Many were made by Zone VI, not by outside suppliers.

Also, for those who do not know, Calumet did not always own Zone VI.

I purchased my "built in Vermont" Zone VI used about 5 or 6 years ago. I couldn't be happier with the camera. Nice long bellows for long lenses or close-ups, very stable and rigid. I liked it enough to purchase a Zone VI 8x10 3 years ago :-)

I've resigned myself to shooting 4x5 (5x4) instead of what I really craved: 5x7 - what lovely proportions... but all my darkroom gear was/is 4x5. I foresee a dilemma here.
    On another note: Jim is correct about not needing a fancy camera. I wish I had never sold my Nagaoka (another tiny regret). It was great for backpacking and yes, its limitations and flimsy knobs were frustrating. You could lock down the camera with a vise-grip and it could still come loose as soon as you inserted the holder. Maybe what I regret is the mere pittance I sold it for. Oh the shame of it.

Eric Biggerstaff

Renato,

I too have been bitten by the 5X7 bug, and like you my darkroom is geared toward 4X5. As I do not scan and print digitally, I am pretty limited to making 5x7 contact prints. But, having worked in the 5x7 format for several months now, I can safely say that I have learned to REALLY like smaller contact prints. They are just plain fun to make and look at. So, if you ever find an inexpensive way to get into 5X7 go for it.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Eric.....that's all the encouragment I needed...Shen-Hao here I come!

Does Chamonix make 5x7 w/ available 4x5 back?

Chamonix will make any size camera with any reducing back. You just have to be prepared to wait a bit. The Chamonix is lighter than the Shen Hao, so a Chamonix 5x7 would probably weight the same as a Shen Hao 4x5.