Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you mount filters on unthreaded lenses?

how do you mount filters on unthreaded lenses?

I have some lenses that were not meant for threaded filters (a Petzval and various process lenses).

I have purchased oversize filters thinking I could hack something that slips on, maybe with nylon screws.

The most awkward will be a polarizer, perhaps the most useful one, because of the torsion applied in use.

What do you folks do?

Thanks

Murray
    Holland MI

Re: how do you mount filters on unthreaded lenses?

If the lenses aren't too large in diameter, Cokin (maybe others) made an adapter mount like you are describing. You could then attach the actual slotted filter mount to the adapter. I can only assume it is still available. I use mine regularly on my Caltar (Acuton) 215mm which also has no threading. Should be able to find it on Cokin's web site.

Kodak used to make many sizes of slip on rings for the series size filters, I think they went all the way up to series nine which is about 3 1/2 inches or wider.

Maybe you can find something like that through a old camera store's junk drawer or on one of the auction sites.

If all else fails, do what I do and go to your friendly local machinist for a quick solution.
    Mine helped me to find the nylon tipped screws when we made exactly that kind of a mount so I could use a polarizer and a red filter (112mm) for my old 40mm Distagon for the Hasse's. Works like a charm!

Good luck.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Gaffers tape

Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    I have some lenses that were not meant for threaded filters (a Petzval and various process lenses).

I have purchased oversize filters thinking I could hack something that slips on, maybe with nylon screws.
    Have you thought of a Lee snap filter holder? Description says it will work to up to 82mm sized lenses and hold 4x4" filters.

-Darren

Tiffen used to make a filter system that mounted with set screws. Included in the system was various sizes of mounts for threaded filters. It also handled gel filters up to 4x4. The bigger mount I think could deal with 100mm outside lens diameters. When they show up on Ebay they either go for nothing or more then they're worth.

The cheap way is to go to your nearest camera shop and find a rubber lenshood. Test them until you find one that fits tightly. Attach it with the gaffer tape mentioned. The filters will screw into the hood filter mount. If the lens isn't collectable you could glue the hood on.

I epoxied a threaded filter ring (67mm) salvaged from a scratched filter into the barrel of my 67 pentax 165mm, which I was surprisd to discover had no threads. Collectible it ain't, but it doesn't interfere with the built-insliding lensshade.

While Claude's idea is good and would work in some situations, it may be problematic for a polarizer.
    I've run into this situation many times and i've found a foolproof cure that never comes loose on accident. Get some ATG tape aka "snot tape", cut a piece long enough for the diameter of a filter step up ring that fits snug in in the lens. You must measure the threadless lens diameter accurately or take the lens to the shop for proper fit. Roll the snot tape lengthwise and apply it to the outer edge of the male threads of the step up ring and push it onto the lens. It is removable w/o residue if you decide to sell the lens. I used this method on a 24" artar, 210mm repromaster and others.

good luck

Murray, can you measure the OD of each lens and let me know what you have?

I use foam core to mount gel filters. I'd make a filter mounting frame the same way, by cutting a tight slip-on circle in a piece of black foam core, and then gluing some threads (from an old filter or stepping ring) to it. The ring could be removed and remounted when the foam core gets too loose.

S.K. Grimes custom makes a really nice slip-on adapter. About the time I was on my third piece of foam core, I might cough up for one of those adapters...

Clyde Rogers