Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pets/Animals in LF

Pets/Animals in LF

There must be other LFers out there that turn their cameras on unsuspecting animals

The banding in the scan is due to my less than ideal scanner

Re: Pets/Animals in LF

"Chops" and Claudia.

Claudia had just come home from a week and a half at Stanford University Hospital. She had been diagnosed with stage four lymphoma just about six months prior. She had had a rough week of therapy and looked like...well, bad but finally at peace. This is the last time I saw her alive. Chaps died a few months later.

Those two pet shots will win a lot of affection.

I’ve always yearned for a LF thread on wildlife, but suspected the difficulty of the subject would limit participation.

Yet I’m sure the efforts out there, by the most patient among us, would interest everyone.

Broadening the topic to include pets – as you’ve done – would help such a thread endure. And maybe including macro shots of tiny critters would help too. (For example, many plant & flower shots incidentally include insects.) Even beach shots often have shell fish in different shapes and colors. Many times in the forum, I’ve noticed distant animals or flocks of birds accenting landscapes…

It's something I've been contemplating for some time now, I have my son's dog, a Terrier, at home and would like to make an 8x10 negative of him. He would have to be tired though because he is a like a pistol when he hears any noise and gets distracted easily.

Patrick, English Cocker Spaniel
    Sinar P, 300mm Braunschweig Heliar
    5x7 TMY, Pyrocat HD

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    "Chops" and Claudia.

Claudia had just come home from a week and a half at Stanford University Hospital. She had been diagnosed with stage four lymphoma just about six months prior. She had had a rough week of therapy and looked like...well, bad but finally at peace. This is the last time I saw her alive. Chaps died a few months later.
    A touching story Brad, and a nice photo to accompany it.

I hope its successful Heroique, I have a bunch more pets to photograph so I will add some more to this thread.

Curt I have a Japanese Spitz that is in the same boat, Ill have to take him for the longest walk of his life before I can photograph him.

One of the two cats (this one's Leaf. .the other's Leica)

Ebony, HBH 6" Petzval and Betterlight scanning back (shot without the IR block filter)

hacker extraordinaire

Patrick, English Cocker Spaniel
    Beautiful tones. I have one question. The plant in the foreground--was that a deliberate incorporation or just circumstance?

My late but great Brittany Spaniel Quest I had a difficult time as it was using a Nikon D200 and usually only got the tail end of her disappearing out the frame. Some lovey shots posted. Jim do not remember if it was that shot or another that you posted elsewhere but it is a fabulous portrait of a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Beautiful tones. I have one question. The plant in the foreground--was that a deliberate incorporation or just circumstance?
    Thanks !

The plant was a circumstance that I was obliged to incorporate

As we know, pets don't often stay in one place very long. I was shooting some flowers in the yard, and noticed the dog. I moved the camera, changed the lens, and compsed, as quickly as possible.