Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from KC

Hi from KC

Well for the last few years I have been shooting digital and lately I have really missed film, so I broke out the old graflex and bought some sheet film. I did some searching and found this site. I look forward to learning and passing on any knowledge to the forum. As I said in the title I'm from Kansas City on the Kansas side of the line. I shoot a lot of people but love to photograph urban areas with my large format. With all the recent construction and the starting of the rebirth of downtown I think I will have a some new subjects.

Clay

tim810

Re: Hi from KC

Hi Clay,
    I would love shooting in KC. I grew up in Lawrence Ks and still dream of the stuff I used to shoot there. My brother lives in Lawrence still, so I will be heading out that way later this year to visit and bring my cameras (8x10 arca and 12x20 Richard Ritter)
    Enjoy your shooting and I can't wait to see your images!!
    cheers
    Tim

Hi Clay, welcome from Hawaii, and welcome back to film.

Welcome to group therepy! Kansas City...steaks...ymmmm!!!

Welcome, Clay!
    Would you happen to know of a 'tog in KC name of Lyle White? He pubilshed a portfolio on villages in Hungary about 20 years ago IIRC. Heck of a nice guy (and exceptionally talented photographer!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Welcome, Clay! I'm a new "freshman" here too, so it's nice to meet my classmates.

EuGene

Howdy, Clay. Nice to have you join us.

Clay -

A bit short notice since I just saw your post but the first Tuesday of each month (unless it is a holiday) the Lawrence Photo Alliance has its meeting from 7pm to 9pm at the Lawrence Arts Center. You are welcome to drop by.

A mixed group, and I should let you know, mostly digital but there are a few of us that use LF and a few more that are mainly film and still a few more into hybrid. Diverse group. You can PM your email and I'll forward to you the last email newsletter.

p.s. Tim810 if your brother doesn't already know about the LPA, I can forward a copy of the newsletter to him if you can PM his address. Or to you for that matter!

www.lawrencephotoalliance.org

tim810

This is why I miss Kansas.
    Almost every time someone finds out I grew up in Kansas they say something like "That sucks". Furthermore, when someone is talking about the middle of nowhere, they often reference Kansas.
    Growing up in Lawrence, these statements could not be further from the truth.

What a great place to live. I spend alot of time in NY, Boston and Providence and lived right on the water in Stonington CT, but nothing compares to the cultural experience I had in Lawrence. IMHO

This photo is an example of something that is harder to find here in CT on a regular basis.

Sorry for my rant, I just Miss Lawrence!!

Lawrence KS isn't the middle of nowhere. That is Lebanon, KS I think...

http://ludb.clui.org/gmap/?uuid=KS3129