Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: backpack for airline travel, Lowepro Nature Trekker OK?

Re: backpack for airline travel, Lowepro Nature Trekker OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Hara View Post
    Hi Dave,

I use the f64 "Large" camera backpack (their middle size). It fits easily in the
    overhead compartment of a 737 and would also fit under the seat. It's not rigid or padded enough to check, but it's quite light and costs less than $150. For travel, I detach the film holder cases and carry them in a gym bag with my film. That goes under the seat. The backpack is big enough for a 4x5 field camera, 3 or 4 lenses, meter, 10 film holders, and assorted filters & bits-- all you could reasonably carry on your back.

Cheers
    Joe
    Joes, that sounds like a good carry-on backpack - but, would it be large enough to accomodate at least 5x7 Tachihara? It sounds like it could beacuse you have 4 lenses packed with it while I don't need that many, maybe 1-2, mounted on Wista boards (I use Sinar/Wista adapter board). I didn't measure my Tachi right now, but dimension (from Badger website) should be: (Folded closed size including knobs: W 11-1/2'' x L 9-3/4'' x 5''). As I said, I have Pelican carry-on size hardshell case, but because walking accross the large terminals can be pain I'd prefer backpack. I'll try to find what the f64 backpacks internal dimensions are...

edit: OK, I found the f64 website and it seems that both large BP and extra large BPX would fit; I guess BPX would be one inch over the allowed carry-on dimensions but since it is softbag I think it would probably pass. But, the large BP sound like about what I need, it looks definitely smaller/ligher then Lowepro Nature Trekker that I originally considered.
    Last edited by dave92270; 4-Apr-2008 at 09:03. Reason: need to add a note

I use a LowePro Pro Roller 1 which contains my Photobackpacker lens cases and Arca Swiss enclosure; I just check my Nimbus which I place at the bottom of my luggage bag. When I arrive at my destination I just pull the inserts out of the Pro Roller and onto the backing board of the Nimbus. Ready to go, no muss no fuss. The Pro Roller 1 goes through security no problem without the need to lug a heavy pack around. Also stows in the overhead bin perfectly.

Thanks guys for your help and advices on the backpack - after taking everything into considerations, I ordered the f.64 BP Large Backpack (the smaller one out of those 2 they make). The backpack should make it possible to take either of my field cameras (5x7 & 8x10 Tachiharas) on board as carry-on. I ordered from The View Camera Store in AZ, and should have it in a few days; I'll probably take it on overseas trip next week.

I know it's a bit late, but I found this the other day: http://www.redoxx.com/catalog/airlin...e/p_91019.html. The bag is called "Sky Train" and weighs just 4 lbs empty; it is a bit pricy at $225. While size is important, weight is just as important.

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    I know it's a bit late, but I found this the other day: http://www.redoxx.com/catalog/airlin...e/p_91019.html. The bag is called "Sky Train" and weighs just 4 lbs empty; it is a bit pricy at $225. While size is important, weight is just as important.

...looks like a nice bag (plus it is "Made in USA", which matters to me), but I wonder how sturdy the sides, top and bottom are? It seems more like general purpose bag good for a set of clothing and other small items that are not too fragile. I'm sort of hoping that f64 bag is as sturdy as my lowepro mini-trekker; that one once packed is studry, and very well padded. Don't forget that even as carry-on your bag can still get abused and hit hard (fall-off the crammed overhead compartment, other passenger can crush it while pushing his 40+ pound hard-shelled oversized carry-on into the overhead and such; sometimes I can't believe the size and weight of the bags that airlines let some folks to take on board...). Thanks for tip though, I may get such a bag down the road for times when I don't carry the LF camera.

I use a Lowe Pro Photo Trekker (first model) which I think is slightly bigger than the Nature Trekker. It is right at the max allowable carry on size. In it I'll have my Arca Swiss Discovery, three lenses, filters, Quickload holder, accessories, etc. Quickloads go in my other allowed carry on. In my checked bag goes tripod and a LowePro attachable daypack (off my super Trekker) that I'll attach once on location to put the Quickload film in.

The Photo Trekker works fine on MD-80 size jets and up. It is too big for many regional jets so I always plan my flights to be on the "full sized" jets.

So far my experience with TSA has been fine, one guy even recogized it as a 4x5 from the scanner monitor and asked what brand it was. On occasion they will open it as the metal of the Arca draws attention but I have not had a problem taking it on at least a dozen flights over the last 18 months or so.

BTW- having film a separate bag (that goes first) hopefully means it passes through quickly incase they zap the camera 2-3 times when they get confused about the shape.
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer

Quote Originally Posted by Darren H View Post
    I use a Lowe Pro Photo Trekker (first model) which I think is slightly bigger than the Nature Trekker. It is right at the max allowable carry on size. In it I'll have my Arca Swiss Discovery, three lenses, filters, Quickload holder, accessories, etc. Quickloads go in my other allowed carry on. In my checked bag goes tripod and a LowePro attachable daypack (off my super Trekker) that I'll attach once on location to put the Quickload film in.

The Photo Trekker works fine on MD-80 size jets and up. It is too big for many regional jets so I always plan my flights to be on the "full sized" jets.

So far my experience with TSA has been fine, one guy even recogized it as a 4x5 from the scanner monitor and asked what brand it was. On occasion they will open it as the metal of the Arca draws attention but I have not had a problem taking it on at least a dozen flights over the last 18 months or so.

BTW- having film a separate bag (that goes first) hopefully means it passes through quickly incase they zap the camera 2-3 times when they get confused about the shape.
    Good point about film sending through the scanner in separate bag (I'll take it out of backpack and put into zipper bag I think for this purpose) - an excellent idea and I don't know why I didn't think of it. I will do it. Yes, sometimes they run the camera backpack forth and back and the film gets the extra x-ray dosage.. I didn't have any fogged film so far, but why to jeopardize more then necessary.

I fooled with the f64 bag since I got it few days ago (didn't fly with it yet though), it fits surprisingly lot - I managed to pack 5x7 camera, 2 mounted lenses, Sekonic meter, 2 holders, darkcloth+graycard (to protect gg), box or two of film, and will accomodate some small accessories. There would be place for more holders or film, but I don't want to pack more because I don't want it too heavy. The rest of my holders will go into the checked bag, and some extra film and developer package will go through the mail.
    Last edited by dave92270; 11-Apr-2008 at 09:36. Reason: forgot to write message

Here is a USA-made pack company. Not designed for photo, but I have been using one of their packs for my 8x10 (non-carry on) for 10 years...well made. Those intersted check out their travel packs (the one I have would be simalar to the Trekker II).

http://www.meipacks.com/

Vaughn

I use multiple bags, choosing based upon where I am going and what I plan to do. I've found some airlines, like Qantas (which only allows 15 lbs), to be very restrictive of weight - it doesn't matter if the bag fits the size requirement, if it is too heavy they will make you check it. Hence, I've taken to storing my LowePro in my checked luggage and stuffing the rest into an ordinary Swiss Army backpack (very light and sturdy).

More and more airlines are going to start weighing carry-on luggage, just like they have started charging for a second bag. LF equipment and film is heavy; that is the primary reason that the weight of a bag is very important to me, and I'm willing to look for a non-photo type of bag. FWIW, I don't use any bag that has wheels (weight). Sorry, but I've been burned too often on weight.