Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: backpack for airline travel, Lowepro Nature Trekker OK?

backpack for airline travel, Lowepro Nature Trekker OK?

Hello,

I need a backpack that would meet the airline restrictions for the carry-on (9x14x22), and I'm considering Lowepro Nature Trekker AW II. From the dimensions on the Lowepro website it seems that the backpack exceeds the size (despite having icon "airline carry-on) however it is unclear how the external dimensions (particularly thickness) are exactly calculated. I searched this forum and it seems that some of you use Nature Trekker for air travel with LF?

I don't need to "overpack" the backpack ending up having it too thick, just need to pack the irreplacable and fragile basics (5x7 or 8x10 field camera, spot/light meter, 1-2 mounted wrapped lenses, 2 holders, and a box or two of film, but I could always put holders and film in separate briefcase). I used to air travel extensively with Lowepro Mini Trekker loaded with complete self-contained 4x5 outfit (it was heavy!), but now I have 5x7 and 8x10 Tachiharas and those will not fit the small bag anymore. I need 8x10 Tachi to fit the Nature Trekker with those few basic things mentioned above, and be able to board the plane with it. Is is possible?

If the backpack wouldn't fit the large jet aircraft overhead compartments ( I fly small commuters too but crew can temporarily take over the backpack on the tarmac - they do it with the carry-ons that fit large airliner but not the commuter), I will probably pack my fragile gear in Pelican hard-shell carry-on suitcase on rollers that meets restrictions precisely. The Pelican case fits 5x7 (not sure if 8x10, didn't try), is very strong but also very heavy..the reason why I would actually prefer backpack instead...

thanks for info or other suitable luggage recommendations

Re: backpack for airline travel, Lowepro Nature Trekker OK?

I have a Nature Trekker AW and have successfully carried it on planes.

The dimensions of the AW seem to be slightly different from the published exterior dimensions of the AW-II - 11.5W x 6D x 16.75 versus 11.4W X 5.9D X 16.7, but the differences are really negligible.

I can fit a 4x5 camera, two lenses, a meter, and six holders into the AW.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie Powell View Post
    I have a Nature Trekker AW and have successfully carried it on planes.

The dimensions of the AW seem to be slightly different from the published exterior dimensions of the AW-II - 11.5W x 6D x 16.75 versus 11.4W X 5.9D X 16.7, but the differences are really negligible.

I can fit a 4x5 camera, two lenses, a meter, and six holders into the AW.
    Thanks Louie,

seems that the thickness of Nature Trekker is way less then what the Lowepro website says (Exterior 14.6W X 15D X 19.1H in)?:

http://products.lowepro.com/product/...II,1971,14.htm

That's good to hear that you use it for air travel - that's the confirmation I need to know before shelling out $230 for the bag. It seems that the bag may be quite heavy duty, but there doesn't seem to be anything in between Nature Trekker and Mini Trekker that could fit 5x7 or 8x10 field cameras. The width may be a bit tight because camera knobs, but I think it will fit. From my experience with Mini Trekker I know that Lowepro brand is well designed and very sturdy.

Thanks!

I've started shipping my Lowepro Omni Trekker in my checked luggage. Then I carry my camera in a Swiss Army backpack (very light) ... some of the lenses go around my waist in a fanny pack.

I've found that even though your carryone may meet the size requirements, some airlines, like Qantas, are very restrictive in weight - so saving, every once possible is just as important as size. Frankly, I'm always on the hunt for an even lighter backpack ...

I have the Osprey Sojourner. Goes on airplanes as checked.... Is a backpack and a wheeled suitcase. The backpack harness is moderately comfortable when schlepping 25 lb, and it stows away very neatly. Good gear. Price went up 10% since I bought it a year ago. Now $229 @ REI.
    ciao for now,
    Peter
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

I checked out Osprey, interesting bag - is it well-padded? It seems like not too much?
    The Omni Trekker is interesting, I overlooked it; I even have the 1550 Pelican shell which is not carry-on unfortunately; How is Omni Trekker padded, and would it fit 8x10Tachihara? Looks like it could.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Collins View Post
    I have the Osprey Sojourner. Goes on airplanes as checked.... Is a backpack and a wheeled suitcase. The backpack harness is moderately comfortable when schlepping 25 lb, and
    and it weighs 7lb 12oz empty - that is about half your luggage allowance for most airlines. It doesn't matter what size the bag is, if the airline checks the weight, you will be checking the bag.

i am not sure where you are located and where you plan to fly, but i now ship my cameras, film, and film holders to myself. (the new large flat rate boxes hold 8x10 hoilders and only cost $13 in the USA! i love that box!) i use USPS priority mail and i insure them. all you do is write your name on it and then GPO (whatever the name of the PO is.) you can find out all the PO locations at USPS.com.

this has been working very well for me for traveling domestic USA and domestic Thailand flights.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    i am not sure where you are located and where you plan to fly, but i now ship my cameras, film, and film holders to myself. (the new large flat rate boxes hold 8x10 hoilders and only cost $13 in the USA! i love that box!) i use USPS priority mail and i insure them. all you do is write your name on it and then GPO (whatever the name of the PO is.) you can find out all the PO locations at USPS.com.

this has been working very well for me for traveling domestic USA and domestic Thailand flights.

eddie
    sorry, I forgot to mention it ; I live in California, and I need the luggage for international (transatlantic) flights. It is possible to ship some stuff overseas (I do it with film), but unfortunately can't ship cameras and accessories because the customs and other related issues.; it's just not practical.

Hi Dave,

I use the f64 "Large" camera backpack (their middle size). It fits easily in the
    overhead compartment of a 737 and would also fit under the seat. It's not rigid or padded enough to check, but it's quite light and costs less than $150. For travel, I detach the film holder cases and carry them in a gym bag with my film. That goes under the seat. The backpack is big enough for a 4x5 field camera, 3 or 4 lenses, meter, 10 film holders, and assorted filters & bits-- all you could reasonably carry on your back.

Cheers
    Joe