Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Foto 3

Foto 3

Steve Simmons has requested that all arrangements for Foto3 be directed to him.
    Accordingly, I have stepped down from my role as originally conceived. I wish Mr. Simmons a very successful conference. Please direct all questions to him via email rather than the Forum.

Re: Foto 3

View Camera has always been financially responsible for this event and we have been responsible for the conference arrangements.. We are now within two months of the event it it will be more efficient to have the communication come though one office.

foto3 is continuing as planned and the program will remain the same.

steve simmons

Steve's reasoning is logical. Would enjoy the conference if I had a freer period in that time. Heard good things about it from others. I wish you full success!

Seems like foto3 is turning out to be foto1. Calumet and APUG have withdrawn their sponsoship. Les McClean and Bill Schwab, so far, have cancelled their workshops.

I wonder why none of that information is being communicated here?

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum240/

Regards, Art.

Thanks for the link, Art. An interesting reading. What cannot be missed is the hidden yet voluntarily revealed (!) hint given at the Apug forum as well as here by Ted Harris of his dislike of the outcome of the situation and a hint of critique of Mr.Simmons. Ted, either you really wish Mr. Simmons a successful conference - and then, please, restrain yourself from the hidden negative remarks, or - if you want to reveal your dislike, do so honestly with courage and openly. To sit on two chairs, as you do in your posts at Apug and here is just more bothering to all others and makes things worse. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by hoffner View Post
    Thanks for the link, Art. An interesting reading. What cannot be missed is the hidden yet voluntarily revealed (!) hint given at the Apug forum as well as here by Ted Harris of his dislike of the outcome of the situation and a hint of critique of Mr.Simmons. Ted, either you really wish Mr. Simmons a successful conference - and then, please, restrain yourself from the hidden negative remarks, or - if you want to reveal your dislike, do so honestly with courage and openly. To sit on two chairs, as you do in your posts at Apug and here is just more bothering to all others and makes things worse. Just my 2 cents.
    There is an enormous difference between correcting misinformation about one's self, and wishing the Foto 3 conference well. The only thing the two statements have in common is that they arise from the same event.
    ----------------------------------------------------

www.johnvossphotography.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Voss View Post
    There is an enormous difference between correcting misinformation about one's self, and wishing the Foto 3 conference well. The only thing the two statements have in common is that they arise from the same event.
    Common John, it's not only the rather irritated "correction" of Mr. Simmons presented in the thread in Apug - there is also the previous comment... Not to make the smelling spot bigger - just read the reactions, most of them realized the hidden hostility, the strife lurking behind the scenes. Were it just a question of a "correction" it could be done without the hostile tone. What I don't like is the hidden agenda - I wish you a very successful conference... but "originally" it was not as you want to do now... therefore I quit... If someone wished me publicly well in this way, I would kick his leg for such well wishing. Better to tell me sincerely - I'm pissed off... Just my 2 cents.

During the week before last I asked that all communication for foto3 regarding exhibitors, etc. come through my office. View Camera, at the request of Calumet, APUG, and Mr, Harris , had always been the administrative center of the conference, financialy responsible for the event, and responsible for the hotel arrangements, etc. Because of the closeness of the event this simply seemed more efficient and gave me a better picture of all of the details. I regret the fallout from this decision and up to Calumet, APUG, and Mr. Harris's public announcements I was still consulting and informing the other partners of all the actions originating from my office as we had agreed and done from the beginning. The program was remaining the same, the speakers were remaining the same, etc.

foto3 is happening with the exceptions of cancelations by Mr. Schwab and Mr. McLean. Despite his public comments Mr. Harris has twice sent me notes stating his continued interest in participating in the event and will do his scanning workshop and be on the panels as indicated in the program and I appreciate his continued participation. It takes strong people to pull of this type of event. I take Mr. Harris's desire to continue his participation as an endorsement of the concept and program. Sean and the other moderators at APUG have also been supportive of the event continuing as planned and I appreciate their comments as well.

steve simmons

I have registered for the conference and am really looking forward not only to the program and the workshop I signed up for but to meeting people who share the same interests I do. Reading the APUG posts has not dampened my enthusiasm for the conference ... if anything, I'm a little more intrigued. The program, presenters, and workshops look great ... a few naysayers ... and there's always a few on these Forums ... don't detract from the breadth and scope of what is being offered. I know I will gain something from the presentations and from talking to the other attendees ... that is what conferences are for. I hope I'll see you there.

here is a post that will go up shortly on APUG re foto3

I do not understand the explosion re foto3.
    Let me review the facts.

All I did was ask that all communication re foto3 come through my office as we were in the last 70 days or so before the event. Since View Camera was responsible for paying all of the expenses for the conference and making all of the arrangements for the facilities this seemd very logical and straight forward to me.

The program was developed by Ted Harris, myself, Sean and Bob Carnie. The program was not being changed. Sean posted a note to this effect.

With regards to the Les Mclean situation I have been bashed on that as well. I have been bashed even after Bob Carnie came on and verifieds that I had been trying to contact Les for several weeks and that I had even asked Bob's help in doing so. FWIW, Les and I have exchanged very friendly e-mails since our misunderstanding.

The event is happening. John Sexton is still the keynote speaker, the following pre-conference wokrhops are either full or have nough participation at this point to be locked in

Gordon Hutchings' darkroom workshop on Thursday

The intro/intermediate large format workshop Gordon and I are doing in Victor the Sunday-Tuesday prior to the conference weekend

the environmental figure study workshop with Kim Weston and Peter Legrand

the alt process workshop with Kevin Sullivan

the ranch workshop with David Stoecklein

Nicole's workshop

I will check on the other workshops.

looking forward

steve simmons