Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Epson v700 and 5x7 film -- are people making their own custom holders?

Re: Epson v700 and 5x7 film -- are people making their own custom holders?

Quote Originally Posted by ophelia42 View Post
    I am new to scanning negatives on the v700. Why can't I just place the negative directly on the scanner glass? Why is a holder needed?
    Because of the focusing distance from the scanning element to the film itself.

-Brian

I simply place my negs directly on my 700 with AN glass on top - using VueScan and the ColorNeg family for fantastic color neg results

I am very pleased with the results - no holders required - resolution outstanding for a $500 scanner

These are bw negatives. Why add the AN glass on top of the negative?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fisher View Post
    I simply place my negs directly on my 700 with AN glass on top - using VueScan and the ColorNeg family for fantastic color neg results

I am very pleased with the results - no holders required - resolution outstanding for a $500 scanner
    You may be happy with the results, and consider them fantastic. But by placing the negative directly on the glass you are throwing away a lot of sharpness with the V700.

Compare the file attachments. The first was made at 4800 ppi with Film Area Guide selected, with the target placed directly on the glass. The second was made at 6400 ppi with Film Holder selected, with the target at the best plane of focus from the glass, as tested The difference in sharpness is fairly significant.

For those who may not be aware of this, if you select Film Area Guide the best plane of focus is about on the glass, and the maximum resolution is 4800 ppi. With Film Holder selected the best plane of focus is about 3mm above the glass, and the maximum resolution is 6400 ppi. Judge the difference for yourself.

Sandy King
    Last edited by sanking; 20-Nov-2009 at 22:04.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    For those who may not be aware of this, if you select Film Area Guide the best plane of focus is about on the glass, and the maximum resolution is 4800 ppi. With Film Holder selected the best plane of focus is about 3mm above the glass, and the maximum resolution is 6400 ppi. Judge the difference for yourself.

Sandy King

SK,

Isn't the optical resolution of the 750 only 2400? If so, regardless of whether or not you're scanning at 4800 or 6400 aren't you just making up information?

Quote Originally Posted by false_Aesthetic View Post
    SK,

Isn't the optical resolution of the 750 only 2400? If so, regardless of whether or not you're scanning at 4800 or 6400 aren't you just making up information?
    It is a bit more complicated. The V700/750 has two lenses, one (4800 ppi) activated when you choose Film Area Guide, the other activated when you choose film Holder (6400 ppi). Neither lens comes close to the resolution claimed, but with my V700 the 6400 ppi lens gives much better absolute performance than the 4800 ppi one.

Epson literature indicates that the 4800 ppi lens is for scanning reflective documents, and the 6400 ppi one is for film. The requirements for scanning reflective materials are much less than film.

So in short, the difference in image quality in the tests I posted is not due to the resolution but to the lens that was used to make the scans. I could have chosen to make both scans at 2400 ppi, but the one made with the 6400 ppi lens would still have been much better. The point is you can scan film one the glass using the low resolution lens, as some are doing, but you will get much higher quality with the the higher rez lens if you test to determine best plane of focus.

Sandy King
    Last edited by sanking; 21-Nov-2009 at 09:44.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Makes sense.

Thanks SK.

LJ Segil

Does the high resoluton lens cover the entire scanning surface? Or, to get to the point, how can one get the best resolution from 8x10 film? Elevate and use the scan with film holder setting, or place the film on ( or near) the glass and use scan with area guide?
    Larry

Doc Larry, after making 14 different scans today of 810 film (Efke 25 via dr5) and the Epson 700, my conclusions are:

1) Best scans are approx 3mm off glass surface

2) After repeared testing, I see no difference between using "film area guide" and "film holder" with 810 film as 6400 dpi is selectable with either.

Below see a 200 dpi scan (untouched - a quickie scan running everything in neutral mode) of a 810 Ekfe 25 "positive" (240mm Sironar S):

Below see "actual pixel" crop (untouched) of clock face on steeple at 6400 dpi using film holder option:

Sandy, many thanks for correcting my earlier post - it sure is great to have experienced folks lend their expertise to pilgrims.

I always used pennies on the corners of the AN glass to get the "approximately optimal" height -- just taped the corners of the film to the glass, trying to tension it as much as possible. Clean the glass with each new pc of film.

Of course for quick proofing just throw them down on the glass...