Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Epson v700 and 5x7 film -- are people making their own custom holders?

Re: Epson v700 and 5x7 film -- are people making their own custom holders?

Quote Originally Posted by ljsegil View Post
    Does the high resoluton lens cover the entire scanning surface? Or, to get to the point, how can one get the best resolution from 8x10 film? Elevate and use the scan with film holder setting, or place the film on ( or near) the glass and use scan with area guide?
    Larry
    I could be mistaken but my understanding is that the high resolution lens *does not* cover 8X10. I think that is why the Better Scanning holders will not cover a full 8X10. So if you are scanning 8X10 you will be using the low rez lens, regardless of whether you chose 4800 ppi or 6400 ppi.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Imaging Resource said in their June 2007 review:

"Epson's Dual Lens System employs two lenses mounted on a single carriage that switch automatically depending on the resolution required. Reflective art up to 4800 dpi is scanned in the High Resolution Lens Mode and film at 6400 dpi is scanned in the Super Resolution Lens Mode.

In Super Resolution Mode, the larger diameter lens and a higher f-stop optimize the modulation transfer function to capture the highest possible level of detail and sharpness. But Super Resolution Mode is limited to a maximum width of 5.9 inches instead of the full 8.5 width of High Resolution."

Sandy, if 16x20 prints on a LightJet and/or 3880 are the final goal, what do you suggest that the 700 scan at for 45, 57 and 810?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fisher View Post
    Imaging Resource said in their June 2007 review:

"Epson's Dual Lens System employs two lenses mounted on a single carriage that switch automatically depending on the resolution required. Reflective art up to 4800 dpi is scanned in the High Resolution Lens Mode and film at 6400 dpi is scanned in the Super Resolution Lens Mode.

In Super Resolution Mode, the larger diameter lens and a higher f-stop optimize the modulation transfer function to capture the highest possible level of detail and sharpness. But Super Resolution Mode is limited to a maximum width of 5.9 inches instead of the full 8.5 width of High Resolution."

Sandy, if 16x20 prints on a LightJet and/or 3880 are the final goal, what do you suggest that the 700 scan at for 45, 57 and 810?

Thanks!
    First, this can be a bit confusing. However, my own testing indicates that the scanner software automatically switches lenses between High Resolution Mode and Super High Resolution mode depending on whether you chose Document Type as Film Area Guide or Film Holder, and this is done irrespective of resolution. So for scanning a sheet of 8X10 film you must use Film Area Guide for document type, which means that the best focus is either on the bed or just above the bed. With my scanner the best plane of focus with Film Area Guide selected is about 0.5mm above the bed, which is pretty close to your testing.

I tested with Film Area Guide selected, target at .5mm above the bed, and found almost no difference resolution between 2400 ppi and 4800 ppi. So for 8X10 I would suggest just find a way to place the material to be scanned at the plane of best focus and scan at 2400 ppi.

With 4X5 and 5X7, which can use the Film Holder type, there does appear to be some slight improvement in resolution all the way up to 6400 ppi, though the difference between 3200 ppi and 6400 ppi is very slight. But if you can handle the huge files I would say go ahead and scan at maximum resolution and then down size to a more workable size as soon as you can.

BTW, when I switch document type from Film Holder to Film Holder type there is a distinctive sound that corresponds to the switching of the lens on the carriage which you will hear when you click on Preview.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io

Hello,

I have a V700 and would like to confirm one thing. Is the V700 identical to the V750 except for the level of bundled software and the fluid-scan attachment? I have had it for almost 2 years, but have not used it a lot. I did buy the kit from Better Scanning a year ago or more, but have not used it at all yet. I ask because I will be doing a lot of scanning in the next few months (all formats) and am wondering about the wisdom in purchasing more/better software. However, that is a different question.

Thank you.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Clarence,

From an Epson update 2006.

"The main difference between the two models is in the V750 an Anti-Reflection Optical Coating is applied to the CCD glass to eliminate or minimize the amount of reflection that can occur. Abnormal Ghost images are reduced."

So with the V750 you get the extra software bundle, and an anti-reflection optical coating over the CCD glass. The anti-reflection optical coating appears to be the only hardware difference between the V700 and V750.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Rhymer View Post
    Hello,

I have a V700 and would like to confirm one thing. Is the V700 identical to the V750 except for the level of bundled software and the fluid-scan attachment? I have had it for almost 2 years, but have not used it a lot. I did buy the kit from Better Scanning a year ago or more, but have not used it at all yet. I ask because I will be doing a lot of scanning in the next few months (all formats) and am wondering about the wisdom in purchasing more/better software. However, that is a different question.

Thank you.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Thanks Sandy,

I had not seen the info. about the Anti-Reflection Optical Coating on the CCD before.

Cheers,
    Clarence

I have found putting the emulsion side of the negative down on the scanner glass and placing a "non Glare" glass on top of the negative with the ground glass side of the glass facing the negative and have had great success. I have experienced no "newton rings". I still would prefer to have a regular holder to place the negative in. I also have had to scan many different size "old" negative and use the process I described above. Has anyone done what I have done and what results have you experienced? If there is a source or someone has made a holder and could show a picture of it, I would like to see it.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by ophelia42 View Post
    I am new to scanning negatives on the v700. Why can't I just place the negative directly on the scanner glass? Why is a holder needed?

You can, this is called scanning "on bed". In fact 8x10 is done like that when you place the "area guide".

The holder is useful to separate film from glass to avoid nasty newton rings in the image, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_rings

The "area guide", as well as holders, has some BW pattern in the fram that is recognized by the scanner when you make a preview-scan.

Then the Epson selects what lens is to use. V700 to V850 range have two different lenses to bring the image on the sensor, only one is used at one time, the High res one covers 5.9" and delivers 6400 hardware DPI that translates to 2300 to 2800 true optical DPI in resolving power terms. The Lower Res one delivers 4800 hardware DPI instead 6400, but it covers the entire bed, this lens is selected if you use the area guide.

IMHO The HighRess lens that is used when scanner detects a suitable film holder. The Lower Res lens is used when the Area Guide is detected. IMHO LowRes lens is focused in the glass plane, while the HighRes one is focused a few mm higher, at the intended film height, once film it is in a holder.

So with Epson V700 using holders you avoid newton rings and place the negative at the right designed distance from sensor for focus. Epson placed focus of the Highres lens at a distance from bed glass to allow you separate the negative from glass.

If you scan "on bed" (with area guide) you will get a lower max DPI, but you can scan 8x10 with awesome results. Still when scanning "on bed" you have to deal with newton rings. Some films are more prone than others. You may scan wet on bed to avoid the rings. You can also place the emulsion side in contact with the glass, to have less problems.

Here you can see some rings (from the middle of the lake, a bit at right), it looks fingerprints... https://www.flickr.com/photos/125592...posted-public/

This one has no ring, it was also scanned "on bed" but with emulsion down: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125592...posted-public/

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Rhymer View Post
    Hello,

Thank you.

Cheers,
    Clarence

The V750 lenses (High and Low res) are coated, and mirror is brighter, so it may give a somewhat better result than V700 for some images that rae very transparent and have also dense points in the same row, as it may have less flare. There is a difference, but IMHO nothing great at all.

Bundled software is important, but you can purchase separately the really interesting function: Multiexposure.

Multiexposure is critically important for very dense areas of the film, this is deep Velvia shadows and for negative highlights, if ultimate highlight texture is wanted.

It is the single advanced feature I use, but it has to be purchased separately. It is included in SilverFast SE Plus version but not in the SilverFast SE (without "Plus"), at least it can be purchased separately for a couple of bucks, in the manufacturer update web page.

V850 I use now came with SE Plus version, so with multiexposure. For the rest V800 and 850 have LED illuminators, so no need for calibrations (light does not fade with long usage) and no need to wait for lamp heating before scanning.

It is crazy, but I find new V850 cheaper than beaten V750 units at Ebay.