Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite non-photo gear?

Re: Favorite non-photo gear?

oh, come on sheldon, there's a whole heap of patents out there for things FAR more useless than your hanger-string-framing tool, which is actually remarkably USEFUL in the field... http://www.freepatentsonline.com/crazy.html

that hike would have been a lot easier had there been ANY moonlight and had we not been in the forest!! definately one of my more memorable recent hikes...

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon N View Post
    Thanks for the plug Scott.

I'll second Scott's recommendation for a LED headlamp. I've got one on my "must have" list after our post sunset 4 mile hike in the dark with just one lamp between the two of us.
    I think this has happened to me like 4 times. Now I carry 2 headlamps, spare batteries, and a mag light. It's even worse when there is clouds - this happened to me in Glacier last year. I hiked the Hidden Lake trail totally in the dark, which isn't that big of a deal except for the group of about 9 bighorn sheep that were in my way....

Aside from that - my favorite non-photo gear would probably be a one-quart thermos full of hot tea or coffee.

Well, I got more than I bargained for - lots of doo-dads I need to seek out. Scott and Sheldon, why don't you guys come south sometime? I like the stuff at both of your web pages. As a novice LF shooter, I'd love to go out with some experienced folk. I'm not averse to a bit of hiking - yesterday I skiied two or three miles and up 1500 vertical feet with my 4x5 at Crater Lake. On the way up I was thinking this was really stupid. Then I had to take off my skis and hassle with all that gear. Yuk! But the first look in the ground glass and it was all worth it!

For many decades the Vise Grip might not have been the right tool for anything on Earth, but it is best wrong tool for thousands of uses. Modern multi-tools like the Leatherman are even more versatile.

My best "non-photo" bit of photo gear has to be my hiking boots. They help convince me that it won't hurt too much to get off my dead @$$ and hit the trail in search of photons to capture.

I'll recommend the two LED headlamps. Some of them are so small they weigh only one ounce.

I also suggest a GPS, a compass, and TOPO! or Nationial Geographic mapping software. And of course, knowing how to use them.

Also, some astronomy/planetarium software, something like Distant Suns or Cartes du Ciel. Also, Heavenly Opportunity for helping plan sunrises/sets and moonrise/sets and locations.

Oh, and a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Scott, Sheldon - where'd y'all go? And I think I can make a trip east of the Cascades with you guys this year if you're interested.

Katoolah Micro Spikes, good walking traction on all surfaces, ice, snow, loose gravelly earth, you name it...EC

More favorites: My AltitechII, it's a watch, compass, timer, altimeter and barometer http://www.rei.com/product/707270?vcat=REI_SSHP_GPS_TOC . I carry a set of jeweler's screwdrivers in my pack and carry a Leatherman on my belt. I have a large grip's screwdriver in my pack which always gets used. I have a tiny first aid kit in all my packs, these also get used. Everybody I photograph with seems to be a little amused that I carry all this stuff but they all seem to need some of it at times. I have at least one full set of appropriate batteries in each pack, 2 AAs for miscellaneous use, 1 9v transistor battery for my meters and other devices and 1 little hearing aid battery for my Altitech in each pack. When travelling, I have at least 1 full spare of everything (sometimes 2 or 3). In the car I carry a camping stove, an electric rice cooker, water, rice, Ramen noodles, coffee, some chocolate bars, a DC to AC converter, chemical handwarmers, snowshoes, a couple different sets of ice cleats, 1 change of clothing with hats gloves, a good first aid kit, jumper cables, tow strap (newly added, don't laugh I could have used this last month and it was only $20). All this stuff now lives in 4 cheap gym bags and I can grab the particular bag and throw it in the car, I actually just leave it all in there most of the time. This sounds crazy but I am usually prepared for anything!!..EC

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    Scott, Sheldon - where'd y'all go? And I think I can make a trip east of the Cascades with you guys this year if you're interested.
    We did a "day" trip to Shi Shi beach on the North Olympic coast. Left my place at 7am, stopped at La Push/Second Beach for an hour or so, then drove around the point through Neah Bay and made it to the trailhead at Shi Shi by 4:30pm, pretty much driving straight there. Hiked in 4 miles - only one mile of trail, then one mile of pure MUD, then two miles on sand. Shot sunset and headed back to the car starting at about 8pm, got to the car at 10:30pm, then drove straight home. Pulled into my driveway at 5am.

Next time at Shi Shi it will definitely be camping.

My fingerless gloves, headlamp and two sturdy hiking poles. The poles are particularly useful for spreading the load of a heavy pack as well as for balance in tricky terrain. I wouldn't hike any significant distance without them.