Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite non-photo gear?

Re: Favorite non-photo gear?

I've been buying lots of Patagonia Silkweight Capilene T-shirts lately, mostly black ones.

They really do transport your sweat off your body and keep your "climate control" in good shape. They're smooth and look good, easy to layer and move around in. And in the hot weather or under hot tungsten lights they keep me feeling and looking better. It's not cool to sweat on your subjects.

I got a Rockler Cloth Tool Bag for $9.00 as a promotion and fill it with lightmeter, polaroid back, QL back and film, Lee hood, reflex viewer (when needed), and more. I place it near my tripod and leave it open and reach in and pull out what I need. Very handy and roomy.

I also use a step stool -- one that someone made for my son when he was a toddler. It has his initials painted on it. Now that my son is 20, he laughs when he sees me "still" carrying it around.

Flash light.

An old Zone VI apron with an extra pouch and filter holder. Holds my light meter, focusing loop, high intensity LED flashlight, folding tactical knife (for scene management), waterproof note pad, space pen, 6 4x5 holders, and my basic filters. All I need to do to shoot is grab the camera, put it on the tripod, and put on the apron. Before I started doing this, I frequently forgot at least one critical part and did not notice until I was a mile from the car and set up to shoot.

I would use one of those dorkwear photogs vests, but it is too hot around here. (One more tip for the heat - nylon tropical fishing clothes with lots of pockets.)

Just wondering and asking in the most tactful way possible Ed ;-)... But how is an apron more or less dorky than a vest?

In the apparel realm, I like Ex Officio safari-style shirts. They're cool and UV protective and well ventilated, and they have 2 pockets large enough for a 4x5" Grafmatic. I wouldn't keep filmholders in my shirt pockets for a long period of time, but when you need someplace to put one quickly or your meter or loupe, they're handy. You can also wash them in a hotel sink while you're traveling and they'll dry in about an hour.

Frank,

It is not a bit less dorky, it is just cooler in the thermal, rather than fashion, sense. (It is just a belt with big pockets.) But for serious dorkage, I have some genuine pocket protectors from the bioengineering meetings I once attended and I think I still have a slide rule holster.:-)

waterproof boots (i prefer Reichle), serius gloves for when it's really cold, nike thermal compression gear (excellent cold weather base-layer), insulated ski pants (i've only recently discovered how useful these are when shooting), digital timer in the shape of a carabineer, led headlamp (came in VERY handy last weekend), really good hiking socks (i prefer ingenious w/stitched in liners), superfeet insoles (i prefer the green ones), a pack that FITS (generally means one that will allow you to specify the torso length and belt length independently), hat with built in mosquito netting (will become more important in about 4 months)...

oh, a friend of mine has a nifty focal length estimator tool... basically a frame on a string with knots to set the distance from your eye that approximates the various focal lengths in his kit. very simple, and very effective.

Thanks for the plug Scott.

I would have patented it, but apparently coat hanger wire bent into a 4x5 rectangle and a piece of string with knots tied into it doesn't exactly constitute an original invention.

Sure beats setting up the camera and figuring out that you're standing in the wrong place or that you've pulled out the wrong lens.

I'll second Scott's recommendation for a LED headlamp. I've got one on my "must have" list after our post sunset 4 mile hike in the dark with just one lamp between the two of us.