Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Incomer from lyon

Re: Incomer from lyon

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel BIGLER View Post
    Welcome to the English-speaking LF Club !

Since you live in Lyons, France, may be we met recently, or may be you just missed an interesting informal Large Format Photography gathering in Vienne, just south of Lyons. (In English, Lyon takes an S never knew why !)
    More info here :
    http://www.galerie-photo.info/forum/...=17030&t=17030
    http://photo.guigue.free.fr/Rencontre_2008/ (click on the apéro-picture to enter the digital slide show ;-)
    Hehe, why not, i come from the north of Isère.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Kearns View Post
    What will happen when you start shooting with a 4x5? Is is simple, everyone will start asking, "Is that a Hasselbblad?". Welcome, good luck and good light.

I work in building, this is not a camera, this is a laser wich localise my position with satelites

Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume B View Post
    This is what i want to ba able to do one time...

http://www.claudioedinger.com/photos/rio%204x5/

The work will be hard may be
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat View Post
    Bienvenu Guillaume,

Urban 4x5 photography: you might want to search for a Crown Graphic or Speed Graphic. A photographer of many years ago named Weegee used something similar for street photos.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography
    I want to controle the dof like what we can do with a tilt shift lense on a reflex

Welcome from Fresno, California! Enjoy large format the adventure
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

You need to use tilt or swing to do that. I have some similar shots in colour, like this one. The tough part is getting at least some part sharp enough in focus to create interest. You should expect to use lots of film to get the effect really working well.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

May be i found a Sinar F 4x5 for a good price, aprox 300-350$ .
    I'll must find a lense, some holder and A pod after that. 50 Shangai sheet film are on the way too.

Guillaume, a word of caution ; if you intend to do anything other than studio or architectural work, a Sinar is a heavy and cumbersome beast if you want to carry it any distance for landscape or street work. You would be better off looking for a folding camera like a Toyo or similar.

I fear of folding and equivalent, will not have as movement as i want. I didn't want to make landscape (landscape can't stand me i believe... ).
    May be i could re-sell the view cam in france if i found it to heavy .

Guillaume, you will find that, most times, the movements available on a folding camera can be just as flexible as those on a rail camera ; it just depends on the model that you choose. I personally have an Ebony SV45Te and have every possible movement that I could desire. I am not saying that you should not buy a rail camera but maybe you should get together with some folks in your area to try out the different cameras that are available, before spending good money.

Do you participate in the Galerie Photo forums ? There are a lot of very good people there, some of whom could live near you and they also have an « occasions » list where people buy and sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    Guillaume, you will find that, most times, the movements available on a folding camera can be just as flexible as those on a rail camera ; it just depends on the model that you choose. I personally have an Ebony SV45Te and have every possible movement that I could desire. I am not saying that you should not buy a rail camera but maybe you should get together with some folks in your area to try out the different cameras that are available, before spending good money.

Do you participate in the Galerie Photo forums ? There are a lot of very good people there, some of whom could live near you and they also have an « occasions » list where people buy and sell.
    No, i post two time there, but i didn't stay on this forum. I just go in sell/buy area.
    I've two friends who could explain me and show me how to use view camera but they always found a solution to not help me. May be they'll start to help me, when i'll have my own experience.
    So i go learning alone like my experience in 135 and 120 photograph .