Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Road into Chaco Canyon

Re: Best Road into Chaco Canyon

Washington doesn't have public access to all ocean beaches. You should come to Oregon and spend your money here - The entire Oregon Coast is open to the public.

But please, if you come to Oregon, do pick up after your dog...

Old School Wayne

Yup, I am a former resident and DNR employee and know that. It was the most idiotic thing I've ever done, but thought I should mention it for the benefit of others because I know a lot of people photograph the coast. I was doing some other work and didnt give photographer's a bad name, just people in general.

There is park access on the north side of the river. I highly recommend it, as this fellow wasn't joking. Its one of only 2 times in my life where I felt in imminent danger of being hurt.

Wayne

Kirk has shown me on several occasions that driving a washboard road at 50-60mph does indeed smooth them out. I have tried to get to that speed myself and don't have the -------- to actually do it. Driving at that speed certainly does make stopping quickly or going around a curve an adventure. I would absolutely not drive that way if the road were wet, damp, or muddy. Then it would truly be an unsafe thing to do.

There is a campground at Chaco. I have stayed several times and generally sleep out under the bazillion stars. It is an amazing experience. I agree with Kirk, don't just pull off the road and camp. It might not be safe and the land may belong to someone else who may not appreciate your trespassing.

steve simmons