Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for hot lights

Recommendations for hot lights

I am building a workspace that will be large enough to allow me to shoot still lifes in part of the space. Unfortunately, window light - my usual favorite - is pretty limited so I will need artifical light. I mostly shoot black and white, so color balance is not so critical, but I would like to keep exposures in the 1 second or shorter range. (Recognizing that this will not be possible if I get into significant bellows factors.) Cheap would be nice.

Re: Recommendations for hot lights

Ed,

First, what does cheap mean, under 1000, under 500, or? You,ve got lot of different choices and like anything, the more sophisticated options generally cost more. I have the capability to bang out more than 8000W but that is way more than you need. For most still life work I usually work fine with 2K or less. Usually a 1K 10" Fresnel and a 1K elipsoidal spot (leko). I always keep the spot on a dimmer. I'll sometimes fill in with a couple of tiny lights (Kleigel Inkys).

You may do just fine with something like the open faced Lowell lights, I just want more control than they give me.

Feel free to give me a call if you want the long answer with potential prices and brands, etc.

I don't know what you consider cheap, but fresnels are great for controllable light. I have some Arri's, but they're pricey with the barndoors. I've heard some good things about BluLine fresnels--basically Arri knockoffs.

http://www.imagewest.tv/index.asp?Pa...PROD&ProdID=65

For $269, you can get a 300W or 650W light with barndoors and $319 buys a 1K. I've also found cheap Altman zoom ellipsoidals on ebay (<$100) and they make handy lights--if a little unwieldy.

Like everyone, cheap is as cheap as possible, but I am also willing to do inexpensive, i.e., under $1000.:-)

I had not thought about lights with Fresnels, but that sounds like a great idea.

Ted - 8K watts? Maybe I can use that 220V I put in for a power saw after all.:-) Do you run these on 220 or did you have have a whole set of extra 110 circuits run to the studio?

Why not really go cheap and consider the utility lights in the hardware department in Walmart. Not strictly designed for photography, but they can be stand mounted and put out a murderous amount of light. Put up a diffusion screen in front of them (not too close due to heat) and simulate your window light.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Big Negs Rock!

Remember that you lose abouty 1/3 of a stop when exposing B&W film with Tungsten light. I personally like Speedotron strobes. I have a number of them and they put out a lot of light. Polaroids are almost mandatory, and Chimeras or some other tools are needed to really work with them (like C-Stands, bounce boards, etc.).

Have fun!
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Studio has its own box and I never or hardly ever use all 8K. Everything is on dimmers. My recommendation is stick with Kleig, Ianiro,Mole Richadson, Arri, LMT Pepper for fresnels and Colortran or Altman for lekos. You also want to be sure all the lights have Edison plugs (standard household) and not Bates. Watch out for ther brands, especially cheap ones ..... they can have too thin heat shields and housings, etc. See my email for more.

For hot lights, Lowel offers a good variety. I use these. DP lights have a better focus control than the Omni Lights, although the latter are less expensive and more compact. There are lots of accessories for these anything that you get from Lowel.

You can see their catalog at www.lowel.com.

Check out EBay and Craigslist, if you have a Craigslist that covers your area.

I'll second craigslist too. Sometimes you may find someone in los angeles willing to ship small lights to you.
    I work with hot lights all the time and i've used just about everything available in the states. Lowels are cheap but not don't offer much control. I hate them more than anything. Ianbeam 2k "blondes" make great bounced sources with tons of output. They're a standard fixture on most movie sets. Also check out mole richardson nook lites. Similar to lowel open faced units but better built and better barn doors.

No one has mentioned par cans. Rock N Roll lights that use par 64 globes of wattages from 1200 to 500 watts. Most commonly available are the 1000watt "medium" globes. The fixtures are available used often and the globes usually cost more than the fixtures. The put out a lot of directional light and simulate shafts of sunlight quite well. They accept scrims and snoots also. Many variations of globes are available including dichroic daylight balanced. Search par 64 or par cans online. The last two i purchased were $20 each with gel frames.
    vinny

> Polaroids are almost mandatory

and are history, which is why I am thinking about hot lights. The alternative is using my digital camera to test the lighting.