Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock Agency Contracts

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Stock Agency Contracts

I've been approached by a stock agency that specializes in art photographers. After a lot of phone calls they've finally sent me a contract. I have no experience with licensing in general, or stock agencies in particular, and so I'm going to need some expert advice before signing anything.

I already have a few questions about the terms. And I assume there are some questions I should be asking that I haven't considered.

Does anyone know of a source for reasonably priced legal assistance on this kind of thing? I'm pretty sure that the normal fees of a corporate contract lawyer would bleed me dry.

I'm already looking at some big scanning expenses (they've chosen some older work that's never been scanned for anything but the web, and they of course want very high quality scans). And I have no idea if I'll even make a dime from this venture!

Re: Stock Agency Contracts

There is at least one stock photographer's association that might provide some help prior to talking to an attorney. Sorry I don't have a name or link, Paul, but a Google search should turn it up.

Like Ralph, I don't have any more direct information but if you call Jazz at Jaincotech in Ohio he can tell you. I know they are participating in a huge stock photo conference/tradeshow in June.

I know that photoattorney (http://www.photoattorney.com) has been recommended by others. I've never worked with them, but this might be a direction you could take.

The association Ralph has mentioned is probably the Stock Artists Alliance. I have not joined them personally, but I read that a short consultation with an attorney is included in the price of the membership, and they have a discussion forum as well.

If you want my opinion, I think you will not break up even, if you need to hire an attorney to review the contract, and get expensive scans done.

[QUOTE=paulr;330779Does anyone know of a source for reasonably priced legal assistance on this kind of thing? [/QUOTE]

Try Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts. I have not experience with them but have been told that they are a place to start.

-Darren

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    If you want my opinion, I think you will not break up even, if you need to hire an attorney to review the contract, and get expensive scans done.
    This is certainly a fear I have.

I may propose that I send them work the work that I have, and then send the rest as I find ways to scan it cheaply.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I've fired off a few emails and will let you know what I find out.

I don't see why they should need the big files right away before the images have been chosen by a client.
    I work with 3 Art consultants and so far they have always asked for regular digital files and if an image gets sold, then I proceed to have it scanned well, if I don't have it already.
    In the past I have worked with a company that was taking care of the scans as well.
    To me it sounds like this could be a potential loss since the start.
    It is nice to have a complete inventory professionally scanned, but as you say it's very expensive.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

That's a great point, Domenico.

I'll ask them about that.

Quote Originally Posted by domenico Foschi View Post
    I don't see why they should need the big files right away before the images have been chosen by a client.
    People who use stock photography are often working on tight deadlines and need immediate, or nearly immediate access to images. When you are in a deadline, there is nothing worse than investing your time in choosing an image, only to be told that it will take half a week to deliver. This is specially true in advertising markets, which are the most lucrative.

In my experience, many clients take a while to make a decision, but once they have made it, they need the files yesterday (possibly because they took a while to make the decision in the first place).

No serious stock agency will represent you if you don't provide them with ready-to-license files.

Art consultants are a very specialized breed of stock photography buyers, and the way they work is not typical of the industry as a whole.