Thread: Taking the plunge

Taking the plunge

After spending months drooling over other photographer's LF images, I have now persuaded my better half that now is the time for me to dive into the LF pool myself! My 5D and 35mm cameras just aren't quite giving me what I am looking for!

So armed with a budget, I have been talking to as many people as I can and spending hours scouring the forum for information (very helpful). Many thanks to everyone who has posted detailed comments in the past. I am now on the lookout for a used wooden 5X4 field camera which is not too heavy and has enough movements to last me a while, and a 150mm +/- 90mm lens to get me going. My philosophy in the past has been to get a camera that will last a while, rather than buying something that I anticipate wanting to change in the not too distant future. Most (but not all) of my friends have Ebony's and are very happy with their choice, despite the cost. So I think I am looking for a used Ebony 45S or SU (the S would be plenty), even though this would be more than I need to get started. The problem is that they are few and far between (probably a good sign)..... and in fact I cannot find a new or used one from the usual sources in the UK or the US at the moment! So I may have to be very patient, or lucky, or look for an alternative.....

I am aware of the wooden vs metal debate, and the perceived elite vs others debate and don't wish to spark off too many comments! But if anyone has a 45S or SU that hasn't seen some action for a while and may be persuaded to part with it, do let me know!

I'm sure to make every mistake in the book, and a few more, over the coming months, so I'm likely to be looking for lots of advice. I hope you can handle a few more naive questions! My vision is about to turn upside down! Should be fun!

Cheers,

Jenny

Re: Taking the plunge

Are you asking for camera suggestions or is this primarily an Ebony WTB post? If the latter, you might get better results posting it in the FS/WTB section of this forum. If you're asking for suggestions or recommendations you need to talk a little about what type of photography you do or want to do.

The standard suggestion for people buying their first LF camera is to not agonize too much or spend too much money. From personal experience and comments by others I'd guess that no more than maybe 10% - 20% of the photographers who have been at this for say 5 or more years are still using their first LF camera as their principal camera. It's very difficult to know what will be important and what won't be until you've used a camera for a while. You may be an exception though, since you presumably have been able to use the Ebony cameras your friends own.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Welcome to the LF Forum, Jenny, and to the world of upside-down vision.

Although Ebony models are usually considered in the upper tier, there are discussions of other wooden cameras here that may prove helpful, as well.

Naive questions are welcome, of course. If you haven't discovered the LF Home Page (link in the blue navigation bar), you'll find many answers there, too.

Oh, and FWIW, my 8x10 Tachi insists that I bring his little M6 pal along for supplemental shots.

Welcome Jenny. May I suggest a brand new, or used, Tachihara instead of an used Ebony? Prices for used Ebony cameras are usually not much lower than new Ebony prices. Additionally, buying a LF camera that satisfies the tastes of your friends, rather than yourself, can be an unwise thing to do: different brands of LF cameras do not share the commonalities of say, different brands of DSLRs. Each LF camera is a beast unique onto itself, and, as such, some people may love a particular design, and some people don't. The LF world is definitely not the same as the DSLR world where every black box with buttons isn't much different from the other; the best LF camera is the one that works best for your particular style, and there are LOTS of designs out there besides Ebony.

I am alweays surprised when people recommend a specific camera w/o knowing what the questioner will be photographing or what range of lenses they will want to use. The selection of a camera depends so much on these factors.

Before buying a camera may I suggest some reading

Getting Started in Large Format

this is a free article in the Free Articles section of the view camera web site

www.viewcamera.com

There are several other articles there as well that might be helpful as well.

This article will not tell you which brand to buy but will help the reader decide what features are important. From there, someone can move on and decide which body/brand has the important features.

steve simmons

While waiting for the Ebony, why not buy something to get you started and accustomed to LF shooting. You can resell it for about what you paid for it, any difference amounts to rent. In the interim, you will gain proficiency and have a much better idea of what features are important to your style of shooting and preffered subjects.

Welcome from Vancouver in the Canadian Rockies, Jenny; glad to have you here.