Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Choice for Darkroom Towels

Choice for Darkroom Towels

I must be over-thinking this. A search of the two most apt forums here turned up essentially no mention of darkroom towels.

What do you all think is the best choice?

A) Reusing cloth towels seems like a good way to risk contaminating your hands, chemicals, negs and prints.

B) Paper towels seem to be a potentially serious source of dust.

I am looking into those cloth roll towels that used to be commonly found (and commonly jammed) in institutional restrooms. It turns out that they are still available, in cotton, microfiber or a non-woven fabric. I will probably need to make an occasional 12 mile round trip drive to an industrial/uniform laundry service since I don't expect my consumption to be great enough that they will send their truck.

Thanks - Alan

Re: Choice for Darkroom Towels

Go to a beauty supply shop. They have white barber towels about 18" x 18". I got a dozen or so. They are the perfect size. I forget what they cost but it wasn't much. I have a plastic pail I throw them in when dirty and then wash them myself.

Eric Biggerstaff

I just use old kitchen towels that are cloth. No contamination issues really. I might use a couple a session, I just give my hands a quick rinse then dry them off. When the towel is a little to damp for my liking I toss it into a hamper. When I have enough towels that are dirty, into the laundry they go.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

I used to used old bath towels until I noticed a cloud of lint floating off one while wiping my hands. I think the microfiber or surgical hospital towels would avoid the lint if disposed of before they wear too much. For now I'm using paper towels and not seeing much lint.

It simply amazes me how many people cannot figure these things out for themselves. How do you ever get to work on your own?

You can go online and order an XL cotton nun's habit. Then your whole body becomes one big towel and a non reflective surface to boot. Actually buy two and always have a fresh one on hand for the next printing session. Seriously.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by aduncanson View Post
    I must be over-thinking this. A search of the two most apt forums here turned up essentially no mention of darkroom towels.

What do you all think is the best choice?

A) Reusing cloth towels seems like a good way to risk contaminating your hands, chemicals, negs and prints.

B) Paper towels seem to be a potentially serious source of dust.

I am looking into those cloth roll towels that used to be commonly found (and commonly jammed) in institutional restrooms. It turns out that they are still available, in cotton, microfiber or a non-woven fabric. I will probably need to make an occasional 12 mile round trip drive to an industrial/uniform laundry service since I don't expect my consumption to be great enough that they will send their truck.

Thanks - Alan
    I purchase the least expensive paper towels I can find. These days that means buying a case at Costco, but you can buy the cheapest ones at the grocery store. Don't worry about dust in the darkroom. It's always there.

Don Bryant

Doesn't everyone simply use the towels they steal from their last hotel visit?

Grin.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

At almost any Home Depot or even you local hardware store they sell a dark blue paper towel. They come in a roll and a lint free. We used them to apply an oil finish to wood so they have to be lint free. They cost about 1-2$ a roll and have about 50 sheets a roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline Matthews View Post
    It simply amazes me how many people cannot figure these things out for themselves. How do you ever get to work on your own?
    Absolutely agreed, Caroline...but you have to admit that Monsignor Gittings suggestion is certainly appropriate for the Lenten season...