Thread: Greetings from Ohio

Greetings from Ohio

Hi, I have lurked in this forum for a while and think it is time to introduce myself. I have been into photography for more than 40 years and have used everything from a Brownie Hawkeye to LF. I have used a Toyo 45A for several years and recently obtained a Calumet C1. Now that I am involved in 8x10, I figured I'd start with new films and chemistry.

I think I'd like to try Efke film but am unsure what developer would give best results. I probably will do landscape and exterior architechture. Any help out there?

Thanks,
    Paul

Re: Greetings from Ohio

Hello Paul and Welcome,

I've never used Efke film, so no help there. Sorry!

Welcome to the light, Paul (as opposed to lurking in the shadows.

I haven't used Efke film, either, but you might try doing a search.

I have shot Efke PL-25 in 8x10 sheets. I developed it in Rodinal (1:100) for 16mins at 68degs. The massive dev chart (http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html) suggests only 12 mins, but I find that the contrast is a little low for my tastes at that time.

The film is very sharp. It is slightly low contrast when developed in Rodinal 1:100, so it might benefit from development in a more contrasty developer like Microphen or HC-110 Dil B, but I haven't tried it.

One note about handling the film during development. The emulsion is very soft when wet. Softer than Ilford HP-5. Be careful if you are tray developing as it is easy to scratch the emulsion of one sheet with the corners of another sheet.

When developing Efke I will only put a few sheets (6 max) in the tray at a time. That way I can be gentle when agitating. I agitate my sheets by moving the sheet from the bottom of the stack to the top until I cycle through all of the sheets. I normally use a water stop bath then fix in Kodak Rapid fixer. The emulsion stays soft until the film dries, so even if you use a hardener in the fix you can still damage the emulsion pretty easily. Although, a little caution goes a long way in preventing scratches.

Hope this helps.

r.

Definately use a water stop bath.

Some people say that the emulsion is slightly uneven, which can lead to uneven skies, so they (and I) aren't fond of using it on a clear day.

Welcome to the Forum.

I've been using efke PL-25 and its predecessor film, Adox KB 14, for 40 years. I have always processed it in Rodinal both 1:50 and 1:100. I can't give you any useful time info since I use a rotary processor and the times are very different for manual processing.

Hellow Paul.

Whereabouts in Ohio are you? I'm about 30 miles north of Cincinnati.

Scott

Hi Paul,

Hello from northern Ohio. There are several of us here on the LFF and APUG.org in the outskirts of Cleveland. I am in Bath between Cleveland and Akron, shoot 8x10 and 7x17, develop Ilford and T Max in Rollo Pyro. I am always happy to meet, show and tell, and learn what you are doing in large format.

John

Welcome from a former Buckeye - grew up in Cleveland area.

I've used Efke 25, 50 & 100 in most sizes up to 7X17, and finally gave up on it. Just too many defects from pinholes to density banding. I now use mostly Ilford & Kodak.

Welcome, Paul.
    I think Efke 100 works nicley with good old unpretentious D-76. YMMV!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White