Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scanning 4x5

Re: Scanning 4x5

Quote Originally Posted by CTSELLAS View Post
    why would you want to remove the channels? I was always told to never erase them. If you have a color cast you are supposed to fix it, not remove channels. That is the only reason i would assume someone would do that.
    Sometimes with a specific scanner one of the channels may be sharper than the others. I've looked at about a dozen of my 4x5 scans (FP4+) at 100% in photoshop made on the 4990 and invariably the green channel is slightly sharper than the others. I think a lot of other people here have observed the same thing with the 4990.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Scott, you should save the downsizing to the last step before you sharpen otherwise you lose information.
    Ted,

Do you mean the last step before output? I'd love to do that but the file out of the 4990 with 4x5 at 2400dpi are huge.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kathe View Post
    Ted,

Do you mean the last step before output? I'd love to do that but the file out of the 4990 with 4x5 at 2400dpi are huge.

Scott
    or rather you could consider not downsizing at all... leave the file in its native resolution and when it's time to format for a specific print size, turn off resample and simply adjust the document size to whatever the desired print size is going to be letting the resolution fall where it may. as long as it's above 180 dpi, you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kathe View Post
    Ted,

Scott
    No, I mean the last step before sharpening:

1) do a save on you file and then do a save as, now work with the new file ... the old one is your adjusted master.

2) uncheck the resample box in image size.

3) resize the file to your desired output size .... warning, make sure the output size leaves you with a resolution of 300 or better (Canon/HP) or 360 or better (Epson).

4) recheck the resample box and change the resolution to the values in 3 above or a higher multiplier thereof (eg 600).

5) print.

and a bit of blatant self promotion ......anyone that wants to come to one of our scanning workshops email or PM Kirk or me.

No, I mean the last step before sharpening:

1) do a save on you file and then do a save as, now work with the new file ... the old one is your adjusted master.

2) uncheck the resample box in image size.

3) resize the file to your desired output size .... warning, make sure the output size leaves you with a resolution of 300 or better (Canon/HP) or 360 or better (Epson).

4) recheck the resample box and change the resolution to the values in 3 above or a higher multiplier thereof (eg 600).

5) print.

and a bit of blatant self promotion ......anyone that wants to come to one of our scanning workshops email or PM Kirk or me.
    Thanks Ted,

That clarifies things quite a bit.

Scott

or 200 if you're having your prints made on the chromira.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Rosenberg View Post
    or 200 if you're having your prints made on the chromira.
    Native Chromira resolution is 300 dpi.

Quote Originally Posted by David Luttmann View Post
    Native Chromira resolution is 300 dpi.
    hey dave, west coast recommends either 200 or 300 dpi... for larger prints, they actually recommend 200 dpi: http://www.westcoastimaging.com/wci/...esolution.html

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Rosenberg View Post
    hey dave, west coast recommends either 200 or 300 dpi... for larger prints, they actually recommend 200 dpi: http://www.westcoastimaging.com/wci/...esolution.html
    True that 200 will give good results (and a much smaller file) but that is after the Chromira downsamples from its native 300 dpi.

That said, I've never tried 200 dpi from the Chromira and can't really say if it makes a difference. Probably not on a 40" print I'd guess.

Have you tried yourself to compare if there are any differences? I'm curious if I really need to send 300 or 360 dpi output for large prints (I can only do up to 36" on my old Epson 7600)

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by David Luttmann View Post
    True that 200 will give good results (and a much smaller file) but that is after the Chromira downsamples from its native 300 dpi.

That said, I've never tried 200 dpi from the Chromira and can't really say if it makes a difference. Probably not on a 40" print I'd guess.

Have you tried yourself to compare if there are any differences? I'm curious if I really need to send 300 or 360 dpi output for large prints (I can only do up to 36" on my old Epson 7600)

Regards,
    hi dave, i've never actually done a valid a-b comparison of 200 0r 300 dpi prints from the chromira. after speaking with some of the printers over at WCI, i was convinced that 200 dpi would be fine. besides saving space on their servers, i can't imagine why they'd claim 200 was better unless it was.

i've printed from 200 dpi, and the prints were fantastic.