Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enlarged negs

Talking Enlarged negs

What would be the process to make an englarged neg (16x20) for contact(platinum or silver) Can you retain decent tonality in the final print.Also ,has anyone ever scanned an 8x10 neg and made a digital print from the scan?

Re: Enlarged negs

bwaysteve, the process is to scan the original neg, and then make an inkjet negative.
    Works great for platinum/palladium and POP. As for scanning 8x10's and making
    digital prints, it's done quite often. I scan and print for several 8x10 shooters.

There are various ways of doing this.

Another method is to enlarge the negative onto ortho film to make an interpositive, and contact print it to another sheet of ortho film to make the enlarged negative.

If you have a large camera and want to enlarge a neg made with a smaller camera, you can also make a small print and dupe it to a larger format with the larger camera.

Octogenarian

Steve,

Check your private messages.

To add to what David mentioned above, don't forget about using a positive (chrome, or DR 5) which gives you the ability to skip the interpositive step.

-Rob

I don't know that I've heard from anyone who's had success contact printing digital inkjet negatives on silver. If they're out there, I'd be interested in what they have to say.

Digital Image-Setter negatives have been successfully used to contact images on silver. Some service bureaus for these negatives can do this better than others.

As for platinum-palladium, one can obtain stunning results from a negative enlarged digitally enlarged as an inkjet. Results much depend on the printer. It's my understanding that an Epson 3800 or an R1800 (discontinued) can do an excellent job. (No vertical banding.)

A 2200 or 2400 and their larger cousins can do a good job, depending on the negative. These printers produce a vertical banding (at right angles to the direction of travel of the print head) that can be seen in continuous tone prints. If a negative has a certain amount of complexity, it won't be seen. But, it will definitely be seen on a negative like a nude photographed against a smooth background.

I'm not sure about whether the current crop of Epson printers, the 4880's etc., exhibit this vertical banding.

Yes, I'd like to hear about digitally enlarged inkjet negs for silver printing as well, if anyone has any info or experience.

I've been experimenting with wax paper negatives for silver printing...

I don't know either about making digital negs for silver printing. I've been making diginegs for Platinum printing on my Epson 3800 with excellent results. Its a steep learning curve at first but well worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by PViapiano View Post
    Yes, I'd like to hear about digitally enlarged inkjet negs for silver printing as well, if anyone has any info or experience.

What would you like to know about making digital negatives?

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by PViapiano View Post

digital negs are very fun.
    hard to get right at first, but once you get it, its VERY rewarding.

If you are really interested, I would look at Dan Burkholder's website, and maybe buy his book. Very good stuff to get you started.