Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rocky Mtn National Park...

Re: Rocky Mtn National Park...

Quote Originally Posted by trink408 View Post
    thank guys, I will have to look into some of the local campgrounds, looks like a few are first come first serve and open all year round!!

So at what point does the park start to get really busy? I could wait until May, but I don't want to wait until schools close for summer because all the parks get too crazy after that. I'm thinking the Trail Ridge Road wouldn't open until June?
    Schools around here close around late May to early June. But I've been to the park at sunrise on a weekday in June and had the place totally to myself.

As I said, the Park Service really does try to open Trail Ridge on Memorial Day Weekend. You can still access the west side of the Park in winter by driving I-70 to US-40 over Berthoud Pass and then going north at Grand Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by trink408 View Post
    thank guys, I will have to look into some of the local campgrounds, looks like a few are first come first serve and open all year round!!
    There used to be some free National Forest campgrounds on the road to Longs Peak south of the park (outside of the national partk itself, but in the national forest.)

During the week in May you should be able to find one without too much trouble. On the weekends by May they might be full, all the locals will be up in the mountains. Best to reserve one in the national park for weekends, unless you are there by Thursday and stay put.

If you need a break from the truck/camping, drive down to Boulder or Denver and check into a hotel for a night or two. I always needed taht after a week of sleeping on the ground. In May you can also find a cheapish room in Estes Park.

Best to look and book the hotels online if you can, much better than walk-up prices. You might hit peak periods here and there, like graduation in Boulder.

Wish I still lived there. We moved here - Michigan - in 2000. I really have not been happy since leaving Colorado.

I never felt that way about the other places I have lived in the past - Wisconsin, Austin, New Mexico, Northern Michigan, etc. But my wife likes her job here and wants to get retirement. Plus I have a 9 year old - 10 more years.

There are also some areas outside the park that are also very scenic without the crowd of RMNP. Cameron Pass and the Poudre River Canyon are very nice. They are north of the park but closer Fort Collins than RMNP and would be a great day trip if you are at Foto3.

Another nice trip would be up US 287 from Fort Collins into Wyoming.

If you do get upto the Estes Park area, check out the Images of RMNP Gallery. The photographer uses 4x5, has a good eye, and some nice larger prints.

Have fun!
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer

You guys bring up a good point, I was so focused on visiting the park, I kind of forgot there are tons of beautiful places outside the park boundaries as well. I have been to Rocky Mountain park twice in the past, but only on my way through to other places. I do remember lots of amazing country surrounding the whole area.

I think I'm going to aim for end of April/early May for my trip, and set up camp anywhere I can in or around the park. It's not like I can't drive into the park to make some day hikes if I choose to.

The reality is I just need to see some mountains and breathe some fresh air. I've been away from the west for too long, 2 years, longest I've gone since I turned 19 and took my first trip out that way...

For outside the Park - you might also consider the Indian Peaks Wilderness Area to the south. The Brainard Lake area is beautiful and easily accessible.

Duane

A good rule of thumb is the end of June when the snow clears to access the alpine on foot. In early June in the alpine it most likely will be full winter. In the lower parts of the park spring comes in May.

If you go in April it will be mostly winter in the park, but like everyone says the weather can vary greatly. The best thing you can do is keep an open schedule and call the park intermittently to get the latest information. When things appear to be right for you then come on out. We love to have you in Colorado.

Here are some phone number for the park:

Park Information (970) 586-1206
    Bear Lake Road Information (970) 586-1206
    After Hours Information (970) 586-1333
    Back Country Camping Permits (970) 586-1242

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Willard View Post
    A good rule of thumb is the end of June when the snow clears to access the alpine on foot. In early June in the alpine it most likely will be full winter. In the lower parts of the park spring comes in May.

If you go in April it will be mostly winter in the park, but like everyone says the weather can vary greatly. The best thing you can do is keep an open schedule and call the park intermittently to get the latest information. When things appear to be right for you then come on out. We love to have you in Colorado.

Here are some phone number for the park:

Park Information (970) 586-1206
    Bear Lake Road Information (970) 586-1206
    After Hours Information (970) 586-1333
    Back Country Camping Permits (970) 586-1242
    Thanks for the phone #'s, I plan take your advice and wait for the weather to be right. I want to get out there so bad that I'm getting a bit impatient, but I know that I don't want to be there in full winter. I'm pushing back my dates to late May time frame, I will keep up to date with the weather conditions via the park information.

Gracias