Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "How it's made" on Discovery channel

Smile "How it's made" on Discovery channel

How many of you watch the Discovery channels program, "How it's made"? Don't hold me to the title but it's what I believe its called. For those of you who don't know what I'm writing about let me share. Each episode has about three to four segments on how how things are made. From cheese to Helicopters. One time they did lenses. It was pretty neat on how the glass is grounded and shaped, the testing and the assembly.
    At the end of each episode. It's announced if you wish to know more or have a suggestion, please contact them. I thought it would be fun to do an portion on large format cameras. My question to you all is who? I posted this on Apug as well.

Re: "How it's made" on Discovery channel

There's actually a nice video on how camera lenses are made
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7_wL0ZZi6k

There was a Lee Filter (filters and gels) segment a while back which had a sequence showing rectangular resins being hand dipped into a dye solution. Ever wonder why the horizon on your Lee or Singh Ray GND filter isn't perfectly...horizontal? Watch the "How It's Made" rerun and you'll see, "How It's Made" to be a few degrees off.

LF cameras are rather straightforward conventional fabrication. Cast/mill/grind/assemble or saw/plane/shape/glue or mold/finish, then prime/paint or varnish or anodize I'd rather see how film is made.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
    There was a Lee Filter (filters and gels) segment a while back which had a sequence showing rectangular resins being hand dipped into a dye solution. Ever wonder why the horizon on your Lee or Singh Ray GND filter isn't perfectly...horizontal? Watch the "How It's Made" rerun and you'll see, "How It's Made" to be a few degrees off.
    I always thought the Sing-Rays were poured not dipped. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Scott

Love to see an Ebony being made!

Quote Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post
    LF cameras are rather straightforward conventional fabrication. Cast/mill/grind/assemble or saw/plane/shape/glue or mold/finish, then prime/paint or varnish or anodize I'd rather see how film is made.
    It would be a pretty dark tv screen though.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

I've seen the program at a friend's house (no cable here) and thought it kinda silly how they ripped through each segment. Components you never heard of suddenly appear fully assembled and they often substitute just naming a feature for actually explaining how it's made.

Great idea, but poor execution.

You're right poco, some of the segments are rather silly. They designate roughly the same amount of time for, say, golf tees, as they do scissor lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kathe View Post
    I always thought the Sing-Rays were poured not dipped. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Scott
    I have Singh Ray filters. When I saw the woman dipping the Lee grads I imagined that the same imprecise approach was behind the off-kilter horizon of my 3-stop hard Singh-Ray grad. I don't know how they make them at Singh Ray; I just know that the QC could be better. I returned my last filter, a 3-stop soft because the density was 2 1/3rd stops at the darkest margin.

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brummitt View Post
    How many of you watch the Discovery channel?
    Literally, this is only program I watch in combination with History Channel, Space Channel, That's it. Those three are the best IMO. Rest of it - Brain wash.
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca