Thread: REI Mars 85 ULF Backpack

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

REI Mars 85 ULF Backpack

I know there have been several threads on this subject but I thought I would tell everyone what I found for my 8x20.
    I was in Yosemite with Vaughn last weekend and was using the 8x10. I wanted to get off trail with the 8x20 but I could not get my rolling duffel through the snow.
    I stopped at REI today with the 8x20 in tow to see if this new pack would do the job. It is the large (5,300ci.) and it takes my 8x20,two holders, dark cloth, two lenses, Packard shutter, extension rail, stability bars and other misc. gear. The top and side pockets are empty so there is room in there. The 8x20 is a snug but not to a tight fit and I have to unload to get at everything. 8x20 is not fast by any means. I just put down some plastic and set up everything. The pack has some new padding and features that make it very comfortable.
    This pack may fit a 12x20 depending on the size of the back of your camera and if anyone wants me to measure just let me know. I think it would make a great pack for 7x17. The pack is 5lbs. 11oz. according to the specs and with all the gear that I mentioned it comes in at 31 lbs. My 8x10 kit is at about 40! More lenses and film holders. I will pack it up tomorrow and post some pictures for all to see. The pack costs $199.00 and is the '08 model. They are having a 20% off until the end of the month and with my dividend mine came in at under $100.00.
    Now I need to find something for the 11x14!! Come on REI bigger is better!! Check it out at REI.com

Jim

Re: REI Mars 85 ULF Backpack

Would that pack also work for your 11x14? I'm wondering about my "oversized" 8x10 that is 16inches tall and 13inches wide.
    Robert N.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: REI Mars 85 ULF Backpack

Quote Originally Posted by rknewcomb View Post
    Would that pack also work for your 11x14? I'm wondering about my "oversized" 8x10 that is 16inches tall and 13inches wide.
    Robert N.
    Robert, no it will not work for my 11x14. The camera will be about 18" wide without the knobs which add about two more inches. Need to find another one for that.

If it helps, my 8x20 is 14x23x8 and it fits with room for two 8x20 holders on top of the camera. Lying flat, naturally. The holders add about two more inches of thickness.

You should have room for your 8x10, no problem. I would suggest taking your system into an REI store to see. I took my 8x20 kit in and made sure everything fit. The pack is very comfortable. The new model has better padding and is sturdier.

Jim