Thread: Gitzo Tripod

Gitzo Tripod

I would like some suggestions on the proper model Gitzo tripod to support an 8x10 Cambo monorail.Also a suitable head.What's your combo?

Re: Gitzo Tripod

Gitzo 1325 + Arca Swiss B2 ball head.

Am shooting more 4x5 these days but the above combo did well with a Dorff 8x10 as well.

Alternatively, a Manfrotto 475 plus same ball head.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

A 5-series legset (mine is the new GT5540LS, but if you're not taking it into the field, you don't need a carbon fiber version), and there are a number of heads that will support a large camera. I like my Arca-Swiss B2 (which is a hybrid that has the strength of a ballhead but the control of a pan-tilt head), but the Majestic head is strong and not too expensive. If the camera has a cylindrical rail that allows you to level the camera, the Sinar Pan-Tilt is a good head for a monorail.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 9-Mar-2008 at 19:29.

I use what I think is a Pro Studex with a geared center column and a heavy Gitzo pan/tilt head. Not a lightweight by any streatch, but can go pretty high, or down to almost ground level (if I replace the column with a plate).

FWIW, I've never had much luck with ball heads for 8X10.

Look for a used Gitzo 513 or 504 "Giant" tripod with a #5 Gitzo 3-way head. A decade or so ago Gitzo added a fourth number to their product IDs (1504, 1513) and last year I think they messed around with them again... but basically this is a five section metal tripod that goes up to 110 inches tall and will hold almost any camera rock solid. Yes it is heavy but so is an 8x10 Cambo.... about $250 to $350 shipped, you can use it the rest of your lifetime and always buy a lighter tripod and camera later but for local use, out of the car or in a studio, it can't be beat.

If you don't need the "potential" of the Giant there are often shorter ones or Majestics with their geared heads around. But the advantage of the Giant is that at normal 50-60 inch heights, most of the legs are still inside each other, which imparts even more stability, along with the weight with is really nice in the wind. That's why you'll see many professionals still use them even with smaller formats and digitals for those really expensive productions.

The Arca B2 isn't a traditional ballhead, it really will hold an 8x10 without suddenly dropping it when you loosen it like you might expect. But... it probably costs as much as his camera, as would the Carbon Fiber tripods large enough to hold it (and a 1325 is great but sort of on the lighter side for this).