Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using the HP-Combi

Re: Using the HP-Combi

Quote Originally Posted by blevblev View Post
    I did recently buy a new one new from either Calumet or Adorama - I can't remember which (I'd have to go fishing to find the receipt.) I do have the instructions - it was a little hard to follow concerning the assembly.
    There should be no assembly required except to screw in the two Light Tight Hose Connectors and put the caps on them. If you bought a new tank and it did not have the clip call us at 800 735 4373 and we will send you one. You do have the funnel and the loader guide correct?

In the kit I got, I had to assemble the rack/negative carrier too - no?

Anyway, I have the funnel. My darkroom isn't dark enough for film, so I'm having to use the tank in a "Photoflex Changing Room" - a large rigid changing bag - and the guides fell off almost immediately and wouldn't stay on. I'm pretty good with my hands, though, and had no problem feeling the slots for the film, so the guides weren't necessary.

Actually I was re-reading the instructions and it makes a lot more sense when you realize that there's a part missing!!!!

I'll call on Monday for the missing piece - thanks a lot.

Re: "People usually complain about the time it takes to fill up the tank and I use the method following this link. Both taps should be open while filling."

I was going to say, "I don't speak Swedish" but I see what's happening from the illustration. So instead of filling from the 'official' top of the tank, you fill from the side (which is on top now because you put it on it's side) and open the other spout (the official top, which is now on the side). I assume that the other spout is high enough so that when you fill it (I'm using 1 liter as per another thread) none will spill out?

A couple of points that I got from Bob Salomon at HP when I called:

1) The proper method of inverting the tank is to simply turn it upside down, and wait for it to stop gurgling. Then turn it back over and wait again. The tank is designed to work this way, and no other method will give even results.

Do this how ever many times necessary to take up an agitation interval. That is, if you are supposed to agitate for 30 seconds, invert it, wait for it to stop making noise, invert it back, wait again, etc. however many times for it to add up to 30 seconds.

2) I metioned above that one side of my film holder was not very rigid. Bob suggested that I reverse either the top or the bottom of the holder which allows you to put one nut on each side (instead of both on one side.) That will make both sides more rigid.

Quote Originally Posted by blevblev View Post
    Re: "People usually complain about the time it takes to fill up the tank and I use the method following this link. Both taps should be open while filling."

I was going to say, "I don't speak Swedish" but I see what's happening from the illustration. So instead of filling from the 'official' top of the tank, you fill from the side (which is on top now because you put it on it's side) and open the other spout (the official top, which is now on the side).
    This is really not a good idea if you are filling the tank with film in it. Around the top inside edge of the tank is a track with cutouts. This directs the chemistry along the sides of the tank so it does not splatter onto the film while filling. The side plug does not have any guard against splattering.

Bob, I guess from a Combi-plan design point of vew you might be right. But I think many with me has found that this works very well and that this technique will release the air out of the tank faster, hence fill up faster.

In my case I dilute the chemistry as much as I can, e.g. FX-39 1:19 (1200ml), 18 minutes at 20C for 100TMX (exposed at EI100) agitation first 30seconds and then every minute. Works great, and I fill with film in it.

I have never understood this splattering technique, rather heard people complain that it takes too long the normal way and that this cause uneven development.

As for agitation I turn it the normal way as soon as the tank is filled, so there is nothing strange in that. It's only the 'filling' that is different.

BTW, maybe the lid should have had two plugs in the first place, one for filling and one to let the air out!

Patrick,

The tank takes the same amount of chemistry regardless of if it is standing upright or laying with the bottom hose connector up.

The filling time should be the same for the same amount of chemistry going into the same tank with the same hose connectors. The two of them are identical.

But you do have to open the air path on the top one while filling it.

[QUOTE=Bob Salomon - HP Marketing;328159]Patrick

Sorry I used the English spelling of your name out of force of habit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    There should be no assembly required except to screw in the two Light Tight Hose Connectors and put the caps on them. If you bought a new tank and it did not have the clip call us at 800 735 4373 and we will send you one. You do have the funnel and the loader guide correct?
    Hmmm... I just tried the number 800 735 4373 from Canada. I get a "This number is Not in Service" message. Is there another non-800 number? I have a Combi-Plan and that clip is broken. You just reminded me that I need to order a replacement.

Nick
    Nick Kanellos

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Kanellos View Post
    Hmmm... I just tried the number 800 735 4373 from Canada. I get a "This number is Not in Service" message. Is there another non-800 number? I have a Combi-Plan and that clip is broken. You just reminded me that I need to order a replacement.

Nick
    973 808-9010. As we do not sell or market outside the USA our 800 number is only for use within the USA.

However we do not ship to Canada. Many of our dealers do. The catalog number for the clip is 459416. List is US $8.00.

We can ship it to you if you have an US mailing address.