Thread: Prazio and Kami

Prazio and Kami

I've used Kami for wet-mounting on a flatbed for awhile now. It works pretty well. Recently, however, I tried Prazio's Anti Newton Oil. This is a thicker, slower evaporating alternative to Kami. I find that it helps "glue" down curly film better than Kami, and the slower evaporation makes the process easier. So far, I simply hang the negatives to dry overnight. While I haven't made any optical enlargements from this negatives, to the naked eye they look clean. So if you are wet mounting with a flatbed, I highly recommend that you give the Prazio a try.

jetcode

Re: Prazio and Kami

Peter,

Maybe you are using too much. The instructions are to spray a light dusting on the film, too much ruins the sharpness or something to that effect. It is supposed to wipe off and dry up quickly.

Just waiting to be developed..

Hi Peter,

The fluid, Kami or Prazio should be cleaned from the film to prevent any dust from embedding itself on the surface.
    Also it rarely dries evenly. I can also leave a residue especially if you use tape. Its also a safe guard in case the fluid isn't 100% archival.

My personal recommendation is that you use a film cleaner after you scan.
    After every drum scan i do, i always clean any film that i have mounted to the drum.
    My mantra, "Return the film in the same condition just like i would want my film handled".

Best
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

Hi Joe, I try to use just enough so that I can completely wet out the film when I "roll" it down from one side.

Hi Ian, I'll look into this. I know that there's always the chance of dust, but since the emulsion doesn't swell, since both fluids don't contain water, I had hoped that dust wouldn't become embedded. I always worry about rubbing film, as scratches are more of a pain than dust spots. Anyway, I'll l put some of the scanned negatives in an enlarger to see if I can see any residue. If I can, then I'll have to do as you suggest. Do you use Edwal film cleaner?

Peter,

First, I recommend the Prazio film cleaner. Second, have you tried the lighter anti-newton ring spray? Finally, as Ian says, always clean your film.

Hi Ted,

I'll get some of the Prazio cleaner. Careful examination has shown some deposits from the mounting fluid on the film. Man, I really hate wiping film with anything, but oh well. I haven't tried the lighter anti-newton ring spray yet. At the moment, I'm scanning medium format film, and I don't want to be limited by the enlargement restriction of the spray. When I get to doing 8x10's, I'll certainly give it a try.

Just waiting to be developed..

Peter,

I would not recommend any type of anti newton spray for drum scanning film. They are based on a liquid dispersion of a solid particle like talc, starches or anti offset spray. These little particle are hard to clean off a drum and film. They will embed themselves in the film or drum.
    When you try to remove it, you and up digging them further in. This has been my experience on acrylic drums and film.

The only time i use the stuff is to scan glossy prints. The risk is too great for me to use it on film.
    Quality is also an issue. At some point you will see the tiny particle in the final scan. I haven't used it in a long time but iirc it was somewhere around 600-800 dpi @ 100%.

If you need to scan an 8x10, i would mount it with an oil, either kami or prazio. Better safe than sorry.

Onto the film cleaner.
    I used to use the prazio film cleaner. Its a nice product. I think i have 2 or 3 cans left. If you need some, let me know.
    The film cleaner is an aerosol and the can is small. It goes very quickly and its not economic if you do allot of scans.
    You should use Photex wipes or if you have a small amount of scans, use pec pads. Remember to completely saturate the pad. This will prevent scratching.
    I always clean any film before I scan. You will be surprised how much dirt is on a supposedly clean piece of film.

There are other options to clean the film. Kami film cleaner, Pec12 and a whole boat load of others.
    I use a product from Anchor thats called Film Kleen. Film Kleen has been used for many years in the drum scanning industry. A 5 gallon drum is under $100.
    It has no detrimental effects to film and at least on my drums it works great. Although its slightly toxic.

If you only scan a few pieces a month, I would go with the Prazio products. You can get everything you need all in one place.

Good luck!
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express