Thread: Epson 7600,Gallerie RIP, & New Profiles

Unhappy Epson 7600,Gallerie RIP, & New Profiles

I have an Epson 7600 24" printer, and i am having difiiculty importing new profiles for the new materials coming onto the market, into the Gallerie Premium RIP. Iflord tells me this RIP (made by ONYX PosterShop 5.61) will only import a limited number of their own profiles which were in existence at the time the printer came out. I have been offered to upgrade the RIP to 7.X , but it will not handle my printer as it is now " old " Does anyone know if this is true?

Also does anyone use this RIP and know in which folder ONYX stores the profiles.

If i want to try the new materials brought out by other manufacturers, can anyone advise me if this is possible and how? i.e. printing large format prints directly via photoshop CS2 bearing in mind , how to incorporate the scanner, monitor and media profiles.

neilash

Re: Epson 7600,Gallerie RIP, & New Profiles

I have a 7600 and have never used a RIP, just the Epson driver, and it works very well. For a couple of jumping-in points for color management and how to do it : there's a very good book ( 2nd Ed 2004 but still a good basic education) here and a great tutorial here if booklearning isn't your preferred style!

Here's a nice set of online tips - these may help enough so you may not need to buy anything

Hi Neilash,

Owning an epson 7600, I''ve just updated to RIP Onyx's to 7.X (from 6). The major problem was to update the dongle. This done, everything should have been OK after a very easy software update. BUT...Ilford is just trying to discover why the console window indicates "Unsupported Job Type"...

I tell you more, so far as I know.

FD

Happy Valley Oregon (yes, it's a real place)

Not sure if this will help or not....but,

RIP's use their own proprietary way of putting the dot of ink on paper. Because of this, the profiles that exist (made specific to the way Epson puts a dot on paper) differs from the way the RIP does it.

The only way we've found to get around this is to create our own profile for each new material we plan on pushing through the RIP. Unfortunately.

That said, once said profile has been created, the results are great through the RIP. We have yet to find a solution other than creating our own profiles.

We use ColorSavvy for our profiling and our RIP is AutoPrint.

Hope this helps somehow.

I have an Epson 7600, no RIP.

I would suggest that you print directly through the Epson driver for the newer materials. Use the RIP for older materials that are supposrted.

Not really worth the money to upgrade the RIP for a 7600.

Good luck!

Best,
    Michael