Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pigment inks vs. Inkjet Papers

Re: Pigment inks vs. Inkjet Papers

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    That may be worth the price of a subscription. Thanks.
    It's an interesting and informative publication, definately worth the price!

I print with an Epson R1800. Most of my papers are Epson, all are designed for pigment and all would work OK in your Canon but may require custom profiling.

That said, you simply chose the wrong Ilford version of that paper. The correct paper is Ilford Gallerie SMOOTH Pearl. I use this paper for portrait type prints. It has a nice feel and is designed for pigment inkjet printers. Its much cheaper than the fine art type papers.

I've printed sample packs from Hahnemuhle and Ilford. I've printed on Epson Ultra Premium Glossy, Premium Glossy, Premium Luster (13" roll), Epson Photo quality paper, Epson Enhanced Matte and Epson Velvet Fine Art. Each paper is a little different. I frame behind glass and prefer matte finish papers since they do not create a secondary reflection.

Epson Velvet Fine Art is what I mainly print on because of economy, not because it is my absolute favorite. I ended up buying this paper in a 2 for 1 sale around Christmas, making it $1.50/Super B sheet. I was planning to switch to Hahnemuhle before this deal came along, but hadn't finalized my paper choice. My complaint with Velvet Fine art is not with color or image quality. Its that the surface appears somewhat mechanical. And when you get into fine art papers, the surface may be one of your major deciding factors.

I have recently tried out the Hahnemule Glossy fine art Baryta and found it quite nice. Although described as glossy it has a nice pleasing texture to the surface. I measured a D=max of 2.05 on my densitometer.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    Any combination yet that looks like Cibachrome/Ilfochrome classic?
    To be honest I wasn't all that fond of the Cibachrome/Ilfochrome look.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by John Berry View Post
    I have recently tried out the Hahnemule Glossy fine art Baryta and found it quite nice. Although described as glossy it has a nice pleasing texture to the surface. I measured a D=max of 2.05 on my densitometer.
    Yes, and the Ilford Gold Silk is quite nice too and a shade warmer.