Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Philly gathering in april!

Re: Philly gathering in april!

I should be up for ESP on Saturday, but I am just wondering how much time we would be given as it sounds like the synagogue is going to be pretty structured in that it looks like scheduled tours.

scott,

we are hitting the navy yard in the AM. i plan to head back over to ESP to tour the synagogue some time in the afternoon on sat.

i would guess the tour is 1 hour. if we could fill the tour maybe we could just shoot around in the synagogue for the hour and skip what ever tourist activities they might have and. who knows. i plan to bring some high speed 35mm film and maybe some 120 high speed as well.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

okay,

i just made a reservation for the synagogue for sat at 3:30. i told them we have 8 people. please let me know who wants to come so i can add or subtract people. the most we can have is 15.

i am all ready....film is cut and loaded!

see you all tomorrow.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

I should be good for the synagogue,

How many people are expected to show up for this gtg?

-Will

i have not gotten an exact count for the synagogue. i am going to guess 5-8 people. we should be there about 3:20 for the tour.

i am running a bit late this morning (i love sleeping!) i will be there between 10-11 on friday. i may also stay over sat night. we all heard the weather man say that sunday should be nice. depending on how much shooting i do and how tired i am on sat. night i may just stay one more night and shoot some more or go to the ansel adams show. it is along drive so i will maximize my time there.

see you all soon.

eddie

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

I think I may head into the city Saturday morning, stop over at Calumet because I have been meaning to get there for a while and then head over to the Navy yard. Looks like weather is going to be a little spotty in the morning but getting better later in the day. Eddie I'm going to send you a PM with my cell phone so you can get a hold of me over at the Navy yard if we wanna hook up at all (I'm assuming you will be able to get online).

Just a heads up that if you do stay until Sunday admission to the Art museum is whatever you want to pay on Sundays rather than the normal $14, makes a difference for students like me.

great time! thanks everyone who came along. the weather was pretty good the whole time. we were shooting inside the ESP anyway.

a few things i learned. the navy yard is closed to civilians at 5 pm and on the weekends! DOH! when shooting into a prison cell in the doorway be sure when you set it up you can pull the darkslide out! doh! (i focussed with my rear standard and when i was all done the standard was inside the small doorway.) not only could i not get my DS out but i could not see around to the front of my lens to adjust the aperture or shutter speed! DOH! the last thing i learned was that the 7x11 is big and tough to move around when compared to my chamonix 4x5! ( alec brought his 11x14....i am glad he was carrying it!)

here are two scans of my 7x11 negs. my scanner is on the fritz! i am getting all kinds of artifacts and other computer type problems....anyway you can get the idea for sure. i will print a few negs this week. my scanner does much better with prints than negs.

the one shot is inside a cell. it was dark and the logistics of it all was tough as you can probably figure. i was having trouble focussing in the dark with my 165 SA.

the other shot was a hallway with some great old peeling paint. again i was not able to scan the whole neg....good thing cause the other wall is way out of focus....i needed more movements but i could not work out which ones !

see you all again in NH.

eddie

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

here are a few color shots. WARNING! very small format!

http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=823403

enjoy.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

A great time indeed, it was nice to meet everyone who made it out. I just finished doing some quick scans of a few of the images from yesterday and thought I would share them. Slightly larger versions can be found here on my pbase site.

From earlier in the day in the city:

These three are from ESP:

That last one I shot in color too, I am looking forward to see what I get out of that. There are a couple more sheets still left to be processed but I'm not sure there is going to be anything too exciting there.

Wish I could make it up to NH for that gtg but I'll shill be down here in PA until May.

Negatives are drying. Made two errors, it seems (and given my experience, that's not so bad...):

--The door shot that I took in the AM when there was no sun could have used some more development. It's really lacking contrast, and it's a little thin.
    --The interior shot where Eddie popped his flash unit twice should have been developed normally. I pulled it with the other interior shots, and that was a mistake.

Pete, that shot we took down the hallway that was barred off came out pretty well. The stupid door that was in the way is a bit soft, but it'll probably print at zone 2 so it won't look so bad! Might even look good in an alt process.... Very pleased given I was kind of winging the exposure.

Plan to go back with my 5x7, as I think I can do better with the interior shots with it. The 11x14 was fun to shoot, but a bit awkward in some of the tighter places. Thanks for the invite, guys, and for the ride, Pete!

--A