Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Philly gathering in april!

Re: Philly gathering in april!

same shots but with VDB
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Guys, I can't make it this time. have fun!

At this point weather is looking good, hopefully it'll stay that way lol.

Just thought I would mention that the Philly Art Museum is running an exhibition of Ansel Adams prints right now (and through some time in August I think). I was there yesterday and must say that I found it to be a wonderful experience. This was my first time witnessing St. Ansel's prints in person, I found it very inspiring and felt that it helped me in putting all the pieces together in my own printing. Seeing the range of values that he talks about in The Negative and The Print in actual prints was very helpful.

Any details on the times for Saturday yet? I probably can't make Friday but might be able to do Saturday.

thanks for the tip skorzen. my wife wants to go to the museums. is this the museum that is near the ESP?

i have not heard from the "overnight" crowd about hotell/motel choices. it would be nice to have somewhere to crash where we could talk cameras and eat and drinkl together! we could always just drive around and find something BUT i think after we shoot, then go and ewat we are not going to want to drive around.

so far the two suggestions are the holiday in on the S side of town near the stadiums or the motel 6 (i think thats what i said) on route 73. i would like to keep the fees down to around $50 if possible!

i am cutting down some film for my 7x11 tonight. i am ready to get there!

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Well, I can't make it, so I'll throw in my advice for anyone heading to the shipyard.

For ships:

As you go in (on Broad St.), there's a berthing area on your right---skip it unless there's something you really want, and make a right on the first street you can after that. Keep going until you hit the water, and head to the left to hug the water. The mothballed ships are all there in a row. Wild and wacky stuff, usually, of varied vintages. Last time I was there I saw a bunch of Adams-class vessels (curvy bulkheads), some barges, some FFGs (mostly docked stern-in).

To see the carrier that I used to photograph bow on, go straight to the end of Broad, make a right, and hug the water. It should be on your left. You can get right up to the edge of the dock and get a frame-filling shot with a 110 or maybe a 90, but my best effort was with a 355 G-Claron on 8x10.

The Kennedy was just brought in, but I don't know where they docked it, so there should be 2 carriers there now.

For architecture:

Depends on your tastes. The buildings are all numbered in the order of their construction; for older stuff, Building 6 is the marble palace about 2/3 of the way down Broad St. on your right. I used to like the 41 Shop/Boilermakers building: go about halfway down Broad and make a right. If you like broken-down, big, square brick buildings, the place is a gold mine; but I never had much success with the architecture there.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    thanks for the tip skorzen. my wife wants to go to the museums. is this the museum that is near the ESP?
    Yeah the Art Museum looks like it is about half a mile from ESP so it is pretty close. The AA exhibit is across the street in the Perelman building (included with admission to the Museum).

What time and where are people meeting on friday?

On a personal note, I am still unsure whether I will be able to make it on fri, although I will try.

lets get a count for sat at the synagogue. they recommend reservations. i was thinking about noon or later so this way we get time at the navy yard and we will get good sunlight through the windows and skylights.

the prison opens at 10 am. i will be at the gate ready to roll then. not sure if i can get there too much earlier.

thanks for the additional info john.

see you all soon.

eddie

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    lets get a count for sat at the synagogue. they recommend reservations. i was thinking about noon or later so this way we get time at the navy yard and we will get good sunlight through the windows and skylights.

the prison opens at 10 am. i will be at the gate ready to roll then. not sure if i can get there too much earlier.

thanks for the additional info john.

see you all soon.

eddie
    Is there parking near the ESP?

Scott Davis

Yes, there is a big public (pay) lot next door. Otherwise it is catch as catch can on the main streets around the prison, which is highly unreliable and time-limited.

Looks like I'm not going to make it for Friday either. If folks have a schedule for the Navy Yard, I can try to make it there, but no guarantees.