Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Philly gathering in april!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Philly gathering in april!

hi all,

here is a discussion about shooting in philly.:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...073#post327073

i was there tis past weekend. it is great! i went to the navy yard and to the ESP prison (http://www.easternstate.org/). the prison was not fully opened...only tours. it will be fully opened in april. 10-5 daily. we can stay all day and use tripods. weekdays are better than weekends as far as crowds go. i have some awesome 35mm shots of this place! it is fantasic to shoot. i will scan some tonight and post a link when i get em scanned. the navy yard was great too! no one bothered me at all. old buildings and navy ships abound! i was on site for about 3 hours and no one said anything....even when i was shooting from an empty flatbed 18 wheeler trailer!

i am going to go in april again. may is too full for me already. april 19th weekend i/we will be in NH for a shoot:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=33731

i think if we can hit it on a week day that would be best as far as crowds go at the prison. we could hit the navy yard on the weekend with no problems with crowds...it is a huge place. i am thinking some fri-sat or sun- mon combination. i got a $60 room at the sheriton down town philly. i may try for a cheaper room out of town a bit further this time.

is any particular combination better for you guys? what weekend would be best? i will post this on LF forums also. let me know.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Re: Philly gathering in april!

april 5-6 the synagogue is opened. maybe this would be a good weekend!
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

I would be up for going on a Friday also. This way would have smaller crowds to deal with.

I'm an ex-Navy Yard employee--I'd be up for a weekend shoot down there, but can't do weekdays.

Scott Davis

I'll circulate a query amongst the DC crowd to see if we can muster up a cluster. I know the location will be very attractive, as we've all been there before and are always willing to come back.

hi all,

it looks like the 5-6 weekend is a tour of the synagogue. i am going to guess that means we can not just go in there and hang out with our tripods. i figure we may have to just use handheld stuff with high speed film or flashes. i thought we may hit it on friday the 4th for our "big" camera shoot and then just drop in sometime on the 5th just to see the synagogue. i was thinking about hitting the navy yard on sat and then when we were done maybe going back over to the ESP.

eddie

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Sounds like a great idea so please count me in friday/saturday sounds good. Just got back from Philly about 10 minutes ago. Saw 2 photo shows at the Phil. Museum, Ansel Adams and Lee Miller. Both were great.
    Arthur

hi all,

i just got finished scanning my 35mm negs from the ESP in philly. i was not able to use a tripod so i shot my nikon.

3200 Tmax rated at 2000. tmax developer 1:4 at 24 degrees for 9 min. printed on ilford RC # 3 filter. please click here (i used a link cause of the small format!)

this is what we are in for in april! great stuff!

eddie

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

okay.

it seems that the weekend of the 5-6 is the choice.

so lets make a concrete plan to be at the ESP at 10 AM when they open on friday the 4th. we can shoot there for as long as we want. if we have extra light and want to shoot something else we can

on sat i figure we can hit the navy yard in the AM and at some point during the day we can run back over to the ESP and bang away in the synagogue.

if any one has any idea for a hotel or motel let us know. i used priceline.com to find a $60 hotel in downtown philly. the only problem is parking downtown....it could add considerable cost if you can not park on the street. i do not think we need to be down town. we will be driving to the shoots so i figure we could stay close by but not down town. does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for a "cheap" hotel with parking close to philly? we could always car pool down town to eat some killer food at night! i would prefer to keep it down around $40-$50.

thanks guys! i am looking forward to getting back to phily.

eddie

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Thanks for letting me know about this. Diane and I would love to join the group for this. I'll be able to put the film holders I got from you to good use! Al